Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spot meter review: bewi zoom spot

spot meter review: bewi zoom spot

Here is a little review of the old Bewi Zoom Spot meter.
    Before I begin, here’s an article on the meter.

Translated from German.

In the 1960s, the era of classic light meters ended up being the most important recording accessory. Almost all newly developed amateur cameras had integrated exposure systems.

In parallel, although cheap cameras without built-in exposure meter. However, these often only had a fix focus setting for occasional users who did not know what to do with recording accessories anyway. The professional area covered gutters with the Lunasix and some elaborate Spotmeter from Japanese production.

Most of the light meter manufacturers gave up at that time. Gossen and Metrawatt got together and specialized in high-quality measuring computers. The traditional manufacturer Bertram, Munich, undertook in 1968 with this elaborate measuring device a last attempt to survive with a high-quality (and high-priced) product on the market. In parallel, the BEWI BOY was built as a low-cost device. Although this BEWI ZOOM SPOT was quite powerful and technically able to keep up with the Japanese spot meters of Pentax and Minolta, he was not given a long life. Bertram finally gave up production in late 1982.

The zoom spot has two measuring ranges LOW / HIGH, which are switched with the gun button. The measuring angle can be infinitely adjusted between 35 ° to 1 ° with the side knob. A rotary pointer on the back alcala indicates the set measuring angle. The subject to be measured is aimed at the viewfinder, the needle is locked when the button is released. The displayed measured value (1-17) is then transferred to the setting scale as usual. The device is handy and easy to use. The power requirements are quite demanding; 2 pieces of PX27 are needed.

Values: Sensitivity 9-39 ° DIN / 6-6,400 ASA; Apertures 1-45; Exposure times 8 hours - 1/2000 sec .; Light values ​​-6 to 20; CINE 8-19-108.

————--------/

I was in the market for a spot meter and was looking for a small one, I read about this one and went searching.
    I picked one up from eBay they go for very cheap.

I read a forum post here regarding batteries for the meter. So I picked up a couple of S27PX batteries. They fit nicely.
    Butkus has the manual for the meter online. here.

I tested its accuracy with a comparison against a sekonic 308, and a grey card.
    After calibration it was matching the 308 in all light conditions.

It’s quite an impressive Spotmeter. Very pocket friendly.
    Here are pictures of the meter.

Showing hign scale
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	191379
    showing low scale

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	191380
    showing spot scale indicated on right

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	191381
    showing different iso value with computed ev value in most inner circle

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	191382

If your looking for a alternative to the Pentax and other spot meter. Try this one. It’s not for everyone as it’s analog match needle.

My next project will be adapting a zone scale to it.

Re: spot meter review: bewi zoom spot

batteries

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	191383
    viewfinder zoomed to 35*

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	191384
    viewfinder zoom 1*

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	191385
    back of meter

Name:	IMG_0959.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	191386

One thing that I always check in a spot meter, is to make sure that the little circle in the view finder is aligned well with the sensitive area in the meter. One can check this by looking though the view finder and slowly bringing a black edge close the the edge of the viewfinder's circle. Test all the way around the circle with both vertical and horizontal black edges, and by turning the meter a little.

If the alignment is off, you'll see this by examining how the light reading responds as black edges approach opposite sides of the circle.

My first 1 degree spot meter was a Soligor (I think), and the sensitive area was poorly aligned with the circle. I had just purchased it brand new. So, back it went, and I bought a new Pentax V. The alignment was perfect in this 2nd meter.

(Shrek)

I've used one, they're a good cheap all-purpose meter if you don't mind fiddling with the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by bolderj View Post

My next project will be adapting a zone scale to it.

I just got a Bewi Zoom Spot light meter. Did you by any chance progress with the zone scale? Would be very interested (just created the account to ask:P).

Best,
    NPL1926

Hi, I recently bought one of these Bewi Zoom-Spot, and I would like to ask if anyone around here has the user manual, PDF version, English or German, and don't mind to share it with me. Thanks!

Oh!, and I've downloaded the Butkus version, but it doesn't seems to be the complete user manual with all the instructions that came with this meter, if I am not wrong...

I have the same Butkus manual,
    A google search revealed on another forum, a poster from 7 years ago may have a physical copy they had scanned.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...t-meter.53159/

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I've being through that post and tryed to register to ask if they still have it, but I'm not getting the activation email from them, so I cant sign in to post a reply. I will keep on trying...

May I ask you if you don't mind to explain a little bit about the calibration process with this Bewi? I assume that it must be done with that white "screw" on the back, the one with a minus and a plus symbols, and an arrow on the right side, is that right?

Hi everyone,

I managed to get my hands on a copy of this spot meter.

The thing is, the needle is reactive to bright or dark areas, but it looks like it is giving me incorrect readings (EVs too low - maybe 3 to 5 stops).

I am using 5 LR44 batteries stacked together. Could it be the issue? Or do you have any other idea?
    Maybe just too old?

Thank you!

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by jul_captures View Post
    Hi everyone,

I it is giving me incorrect readings (EVs too low - maybe 3 to 5 stops).

I am using 5 LR44 batteries stacked together.

Thank you!
    You should be using 4, I believe. 4x 1.5V = 6V.