Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spot meter review: bewi zoom spot

Re: spot meter review: bewi zoom spot

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    You should be using 4, I believe. 4x 1.5V = 6V.
    thank you!

That's probably a stupid question, but I can't figure how to stick 4 instead of 5.
    5 is a perfect match in terms of size, but 4 will be too short to make contact on + and - sides.
    Any clue about that?

(Shrek)

I used 4 in mine and it fit, IIRC. But in other gear, notably the Yashica Electro 35 camera, I cut a small length of aluminum dowel and taped that with my LR44s to achieve the correct length and girth. A bit of a pain given that you have to keep doing it every time you change batteries, and you have to be careful cleaning all the batteries before taping them up to make sure you don't lose contact.

I used 4 in mine and it fit, IIRC. But in other gear, notably the Yashica Electro 35 camera, I cut a small length of aluminum dowel and taped that with my LR44s to achieve the correct length and girth. A bit of a pain given that you have to keep doing it every time you change batteries, and you have to be careful cleaning all the batteries before taping them up to make sure you don't lose contact.
    Interesting, will give it a try and come back here. Thank you for your advice!

Sorry, I wasn't 5 but 8 LR44!
    Will try and find a way to make it work with 4 and see.

(Shrek)

Crap, I no longer have my meter so I couldn't check. Yes, 8 does ring a bell if the original battery was 12V. 2 groups of 4?

I sold the meter a couple of years ago, but I remember I did make it work by taping up LR44 batteries, and mine was reading just fine, in fact I used it for a couple of years as my primary meter until I bought a Pentax V. The only thing I didn't like about the Bewi was the difficult viewfinder which I couldn't focus to get a clear image, whereas the Pentax is like looking through a SLR.

Yes, that's what I've done. 2x4 taped together.

Does anyone managed to find a full version of the manual (either English or German)?

I bought this meter, but I am not sure how to calibrate it.

How did you calibrate against the Sekonic? Looks very interesting

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    One thing that I always check in a spot meter, is to make sure that the little circle in the view finder is aligned well with the sensitive area in the meter. One can check this by looking though the view finder and slowly bringing a black edge close the the edge of the viewfinder's circle. Test all the way around the circle with both vertical and horizontal black edges, and by turning the meter a little.

If the alignment is off, you'll see this by examining how the light reading responds as black edges approach opposite sides of the circle.

My first 1 degree spot meter was a Soligor (I think), and the sensitive area was poorly aligned with the circle. I had just purchased it brand new. So, back it went, and I bought a new Pentax V. The alignment was perfect in this 2nd meter.
    Hadn't thought about that. need to check mine. Very rarely use my spot meter anyway.