Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The Camera and Technique of Andreas Gursky (Then And Now)

Re: The Camera and Technique of Andreas Gursky (Then And Now)

Just like with any medium, the tools don't mean sh** if the end result is, well, sh**... Gursky doesn't deal in quantity, but quality(and even that is subjective depending on whom you talk with). Anyhow, shooting film is a chore in itself, and for someone as well-versed in the TECHNIQUE of photography, shooting high megapixel digital DOES make sense in many ways. I'm not sure how many of you have flown with holders larger than 4x5, but it can be a real pain. Not to mention flying with film, unless you have a way to not get film scanned if shipping via Fedex or UPS. I've flown with 8x10 ONCE, and that was with 5 holders, and film.

Carrying an Alpa XY, a slew of lenses and a digital back or two can be all fit into a rolling case that can be carried on easily. No film to worry about in regards to x-rays, or pesky security concerns when asking for a hand check.

A couple of hard drives for backup, or heck, now you ca just upload it all to the cloud when back to the hotel!

Horses for courses. I'm sure if Gursky felt the NEED to use film, he still would. Seems he doesn't

-Dan

Why does Gursky overwhelmingly prefer transparencies over negatives?

While watching that documentary on Gursky ("Long Shot, Close Up") creating one of his photos (Hamm, Bergwerk Ost), I noticed that he exclusively used Fuji Provia. I also noticed that in a different interview, the one where he was creating his North Korea works in 2007, the interviewer said that Gursky used Fuji 100 ASA film, which likely meant Provia or Velvia. And finally, when you zoom into this photo he took of his darkroom (https://m.andreasgursky.com/en/works...lkammer/zoom:1), you'll notice that practically all the film he has are transparencies/slide film.

Can any of you offer any reasons as to perhaps why Gursky almost exclusively worked with transparency, especially Fuji transparencies?

Drew Wiley

Ease of viewing the success of a transparency over a light box, maybe ease of scanning too. He is a serial manipulator in PS anyway, a "painter", so it really doesn't matter. Availability of certain films at certain times, and familiarity with those specific types. Interestingly, there are boxes of Portra 160VS there too, so that shoots down your notion that he only shot chromes. And there are boxes of Kodak E100VS chrome film, not just Fuji product. There are also boxes of CDUIII, which is a duplicating film of the same era. ALL these specific films are no longer made. Since he often spliced images digitally anyway, he might as well just shoot them that way in the first place. Not my cup of tea,
    but it's evidently what he finds rewarding.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 3-Oct-2019 at 16:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Ease of viewing the success of a transparency over a light box, maybe ease of scanning too. He is a serial manipulator in PS anyway, a "painter", so it really doesn't matter. Availability of certain films at certain times, and familiarity with those specific types. Interestingly, there are boxes of Portra 160VS there too, so that shoots down your notion that he only shot chromes. And there are boxes of Kodak E100VS chrome film, not just Fuji product. There are also boxes of CDUIII, which is a duplicating film of the same era. ALL these specific films are no longer made. Since he often spliced images digitally anyway, he might as well just shoot them that way in the first place. Not my cup of tea,
    but it's evidently what he finds rewarding.
    Yeah, I did notice some Portra in there too. Where do you see the boxes of CDUII?

Since you clearly have much more experience than I do, if I wanted to take a 4x5 shot of the Rhine to scan and manipulate like he did in his 1996 version (https://www.andreasgursky.com/en/works/1996/rhein-1, not the famous Rhine II from 1999 that we all know) would you now choose negative, like Kodak Ektar, or transparency, like Fuji Provia or Velvia?

Just asking for your expertise.

Any takers?

If I wanted to take a 4x5 shot of the Rhine to scan and manipulate like Gursky did in his 1996 version (https://www.andreasgursky.com/en/works/1996/rhein-1, not the famous Rhine II from 1999 that we all know) would you now choose negative, like Kodak Ektar, or transparency, like Fuji Provia or Velvia?

Why do you think it would matter? What quality are you looking for?

Overcast light and an overall low-contrast scene would lead me to shoot transparency if given the choice. Negative film might just be too flat in contrast. But not Velvia, if going for that somewhat desaturated look.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I'm simply asking out of genuine curiosity. I'm also asking because I'm hoping this might reveal Gursky's choice in film (especially his use in transparency) a little more.

What current line of 4x5 negative or transparency film (Ektar or Provia/Velvia, respectively) would you experienced pros use if you were trying to copy Gursky's Rhein I or II (https://www.andreasgursky.com/en/works/1996/rhein-1), drum scan it, and blow it up to, say, 7.5 feet by 6 feet to look as close to his original work as possible?

Provia
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Sanderski

[/QUOTE]

Beautiful. What was this shot with exactly? Negative? Transparency? Dare I say digital?