Thread: New to LF. Can anyone recommend where to get my negatives processed in Los Angeles?

New to LF. Can anyone recommend where to get my negatives processed in Los Angeles?

So like I said, I'm very new to LF photography. I took a photography extension course at UCLA and my professor basically gave me his entire Toyo 4x5 large format set with 9 lenses that I've been happily using. I later bought a Linhof Technikardan 45 with four amazing Rodenstock and Schneider lenses from some young Korean guy who was selling it for his dad and used that as well.

Anyway, I've shot all of the 20 sheets of Kodak Ektar 100 I bought and am looking to get it developed/processed and perhaps drum scanned if I like the negatives. (Is that how the process works? Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I live in Los Angeles, so I suppose I have some good options around me, but now I appeal to all you experts: Where should I go to get my film processed/developed? Should I mail it somewhere instead for potentially better results for less $$$?

My ultimate goal is to make Gursky-sized (or really any Dusseldorf-school-sized) prints if that's of any help.

Anyway, I want to thank you guys ahead of time. You guys really are a terrific and helpful group!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: New to LF. Can anyone recommend where to get my negatives processed in Los Angele

I use DARKROOM (in Oceanside or San Clemente, CA)for my color negatives (Ektar 100 and Fujivelvia 50), which I am no longer doing. I develop all my black and white: 4x5 and 8x10.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Re: New to LF. Can anyone recommend where to get my negatives processed in Los Angele

The darkroom is what I use too. However you should do your own scanning.
    For b&w you’d do better by developing yourself. Color too but its more difficult (but certainly doable) but less economical wrt having it developed, so to me it’s not worth it (YMMV).

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    The darkroom is what I use too. However you should do your own scanning.
    For b&w you’d do better by developing yourself. Color too but its more difficult (but certainly doable) but less economical wrt having it developed, so to me it’s not worth it (YMMV).
    Drum scanning is $$$ so I’d leave it for the few best shots. Even then personally I don’t think it’s worth it unless you’re going to make money out of it. A flatbed scanner is a pretty good option, like an Epson v700 or v800/850. This is a bit of a controversial topic with lots of opinions out there though.

some great options right in Los Angeles...google is your friend

Why not ask Samy’s for a list?