Thread: Washing Lane Plates

Foamer

Washing Lane Plates

I've had mixed success with mixing the dry plates My method is to remove from the 12 inch fixer tray and place into a 12 wash tray. I fill the tray half full, rock it back and forth gently, dump it, and repeat a few times. I then place it under a lightly running faucet in my bath tub, tray at a slight angle. Water drops about 18 inches. Water does not directly hit the plate. Water temp is usually between 65 and 72. I wash for 20 minutes this way. Sometimes this works for me, sometimes it seems to wash most of the emulsion off. Is there a better way? I'm considering placing the plates into the holders of my SP445 and then placing under an even gentler stream in my sink. This seems to be the part I don't have done pat yet. Some of these plates are early one and that might be the problem.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Washing Lane Plates

If the emulsion is washing off you might want to try an alum hardening bath before you rinse, or simply use the ilford method of rinsing without the running water.

Running water should not be required if you repeat a fill-soak-dump routine. Washing is a diffusion process.

Kent if I remember correctly, your older plates were made before I nailed down the adhesion issues last year. Per discussions in your other posts, you do have to treat those differently than newer plates. That extra 20 minutes of wash really stresses the adhesion of the emulsion to the glass on these older plates. Based on what you describe of your rinse method, 20 minute additional rinse is overkill anyhow... maybe 5 minutes max and make sure your rinse temperature matches your fixer temperature.

Newer plates it doesn't matter...the emulsion won't come off or even frill unless you scratch it off or melt it off in a dishwasher. My guess is those are the ones that are working just fine for you.

To Gary's comment, once you start using the SP-445 I'd recommend using the Ilford method of rinsing (google search for it). It's what I use and I'm satisfied with the results. However, to his other comment the emulsions on both your older plates and newer plates are already hardened so adding hardener won't help. Backing off on rinsing time and watching your temps should improve results for the older plates. Newer plates don't care.

Regards,
    Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

I have used the Ilford method since we had a severe water shortage a good number of years ago. It has worked well with all film, plates and paper. I prefer it to my vertical washer, but the Kodak Tray Washer comes close to the Ilford method, IF USED CORRECTLY!!

For Jason's 6.5x9cm and 9x12cm plates I use an old 8x10 Paterson tray on top of a clear plastic box, and the old art deco Kodak Tray Siphon, and the wash is very circulatory, yet not violent is any way. I wash RC prints and two or four small sheets films all in the same tray washer. No accidents so far
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain