Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: School me on press cameras.

Re: School me on press cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Only lens that will work on a speed with rangefinder is the one that came with it from the factory. .. You can't switch anything without it going off. I have had Speeds and Crowns both work great wide open with proper calibration. My top rangefinder has interchangeable cams, it's great if you can find a cam that matches your lens it's not focal length only.
    Side mounted Kalart rangefinders are easy to adjust for use with different focal lengths. It does require removal of the cover,and a stationery platform and focalpoint, so it is not a field alteration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    A top rangefinder Graphic can also be fitted with a side rangefinder to permit easy switching between two lenses with different focal lengths.
    Interesting. How would that be done? Would you scavenge a Kalart from a Speed Graphic? Can a Kalart rangefinder be taken off a Graflex 2x3 and installed on the Crown?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
    So i picked up a Crown Graphic in nice condition yesterday, mated with a 135mm f 4.5 Schneider Xenar. According to a serial number list I found online, my camera/lens combo was manufactured in late 1959, or early 1960. First thing I did was to check the accuracy of the top-mounted rangefinder. I only had time to check it at near distances, (~60 inches) but the thing is dead-on accurate wide open. I couldn't focus any more precisely using my 8x loupe on the ground-glass. Pleased as punch! Now I await my tri-x and Ebay-film holders...
    I've got a top and side rangefinder Crown with same lens 135mm Xenar. The rangefinders are deadly accurate.

Interesting. How would that be done? Would you scavenge a Kalart from a Speed Graphic? Can a Kalart rangefinder be taken off a Graflex 2x3 and installed on the Crown?
    There are many versions of the Kalart range finder. I don't believe that the Kalarts used on 2x3 Graphics can be used on 4x5ers.

You should be able to scavenge a Kalart from a Pacemaker Graphic, not from an earlier Speed Graphic.

If you find a Kalart, you'll need mounting instructions. I b'lieve they came with a template for drilling the mounting holes.

New old stock Kalarts are basically unobtanium. Since you have a top RF Crown, you'd probably be better off learning to make and change cams.

Now I know how very lucky I was to find a Super Technika 4x5 V with three lenses with cams matching the camera serial number and each lens serial number. I feel blessed. (There has been some speculation that the V offered no-such. I don't know, but transition models do happen.)

I installed a tiny laser inside the FocuSpot and use it only on inanimate objects.

It makes focusing at night easy. Also works in daylight.

I posted it some years ago in DIY.

The usual warnings apply.

Don't use on any creature with working eyes.

I am working on enlarger and studio camera auto focus as my eyes are crap.

New IR distance sensors are cheap. A feedback loop may help me.

The question now, is 850 to 950 nm IR safe for eyes.

Read that and think about it.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Now I know how very lucky I was to find a Super Technika 4x5 V with three lenses with cams matching the camera serial number and each lens serial number. I feel blessed. (There has been some speculation that the V offered no-such. I don't know, but transition models do happen.)
    No transition models. It is a IV or a V. However, both models were available at the same time for a while so your cams and camera were probably crammed at that time. That would probably mean that it occurred around late 63.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No transition models. It is a IV or a V. However, both models were available at the same time for a while so your cams and camera were probably crammed at that time. That would probably mean that it occurred around late 63.
    Thank you, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    There are many versions of the Kalart range finder. I don't believe that the Kalarts used on 2x3 Graphics can be used on 4x5ers.

You should be able to scavenge a Kalart from a Pacemaker Graphic, not from an earlier Speed Graphic.

If you find a Kalart, you'll need mounting instructions. I b'lieve they came with a template for drilling the mounting holes.

New old stock Kalarts are basically unobtanium. Since you have a top RF Crown, you'd probably be better off learning to make and change cams.
    Craft my own cams...sound very challenging, but I do like challenges. One would think that these days with computer technology and 3D-printers it should be easy.

Craft my own cams...sound very challenging, but I do like challenges. One would think that these days with computer technology and 3D-printers it should be easy.
    Visit graflex.org. Many discussions about how to make cams there, also, if I recall correctly, templates.