Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi Stand and EMA Development Question

Semi Stand and EMA Development Question

I've been browsing Semi-Stand Development and EMA looking for ways to avoid the streaks, and any other issue that may appear. I read one statement about the developer sinking to the bottom of the tube. Mind you this was one statement but people did not say it was not true, and of course, I can't find the location to link it here.

My questions are these:

1. Does this really Happen?
    2. If so doesn't this cause uneven development?

Re: Semi Stand and EMA Development Question

Develop in a tray, say a paper safe so you may open lights, with film flat gravity won't make streaks.

What falls is not developer but bromide.

Anyway if you use Steve Sherman recipes I guess you won't have streaks, probably the high dilution helps to avoid it.

I can't help with tube development. I do EMA in a homemade slosher type tray. I found that the initial agitation is vitally important to have streak and mottle free negatives. I agitate for 2 minutes continuously, randomly and quite vigorously and then do 30 seconds of normal gentle agitation later. It works well for me.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

You can get bromide drag if film is allowed to stand vertically, for longer than 20 minutes... My experience is with very dilute Pyrocat-HD (5ml of A and B in 1200ml water). I develop using BTZS tubes, filled to the top with the developer. The film gets a full minute of constant, rolling agitation, then allowed to stand for 20 minutes. Rolling agitation for 10 sec every 20 minutes. I also pull the film out after each agitation cycle, invert, and re-insert. Doing this also makes sure that the film is always under the solution. I NEVER do full on stand as it is fraught with danger.

I guess that person meant bromide.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    You can get bromide drag if film is allowed to stand vertically, for longer than 20 minutes... My experience is with very dilute Pyrocat-HD (5ml of A and B in 1200ml water). I develop using BTZS tubes, filled to the top with the developer. The film gets a full minute of constant, rolling agitation, then allowed to stand for 20 minutes. Rolling agitation for 10 sec every 20 minutes. I also pull the film out after each agitation cycle, invert, and re-insert. Doing this also makes sure that the film is always under the solution. I NEVER do full on stand as it is fraught with danger.
    How do you fill the developer to the top in the dark?

I do EMA using homemade tanks very similar to Steve Sherman's and the only issue I had was not being careful with total volume of developer. The film will twist slightly as you roll it during agitation cycles which can cause a bit of the film edge to receive less development. Solution depth resolves this issue.

I have done semi stand in an sp-445 and in tubes with no problems. I use 2 inch diameter tubes for 4x5. Agitate first 2 min. Then for 10 seconds every 15 minutes. No problems yet. Used Pyrocat HD at really dilute mixture. I have also used Tmax developer at like 1:63 and HC110 also very dilute. All worked fine.

I’ve used the EMA method for at least a dozen years. I’ve found that vigorous agitation is the key to avoid streaking. When I used tubes, I premeasured the chemicals and kept them in measuring cups to be sure I had the correct amount.

I will test this soon in a single open tray.

Steve Sherman has warned that film could float upwards during its "quiet time" - so I will sacrifice a sheet of fresh film with room lights on to see if this happens.

Hope it can work - because I could see great advantages for certain images...and Steve's negatives are pretty amazing!