Thread: Big Sur Camping

Big Sur Camping

Hello,

I am heading up to Big Sur this weekend to share a campsite with a friend. We will be at Pfeiffer Big Sur Campground Saturday and Limekiln Campground on Sunday. Anyone visiting Big Sur this weekend? What are some interesting sites to photograph and are there any interesting trails? For hiking, I will be shooting with a 4x5 camera with Portra and B/W films, and will bring out the 8x10 if I don't need to hike. Is the best way to get there with Interstate 5 freeway, to the 46 through Paso Robles, then the Pacific Coast Highway North?

Thanks You.

Les

Re: Big Sur Camping

Looks like they opened (week ago ?) the portion from Paso Robles to Big Sur. Ha, the problem is that this stretch is extremely picturesque (+slow) and it make take way longer than you might anticipate. However, you can also take 101 North and either take the shortcut via Carmel Valley (also on slowish side or via Monterey, which would be the fastest way to get there. Pfeiffer is interesting, since it has that view and waterfalls - the hike is fairly short. Check out Carmel Mission (real nice) and Point Lobos. I would go, but I'm over 1000 miles away.

Les

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I just came from that area, it is open again, and you can photograph the bridge. You may want to start in Monterey, down to Carmel, then Big Sur. There are about 200 fewer curves to drive if come from San Simeon to Big Sur. A good place to visit there is the only Waterfall that dumps to the beach. It is a small waterfall, but nevertheless it is a waterfall. Also, any position from the edge of the road (assuming it is safe) will allow you to take some nice shots of the cost, and its mist, if you wake up early. There is plenty to shoot from Monterey to Big Sur.

McWay Falls, Big Sur, California by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Les and Pepe,

I was there more than 20 years ago and from what I remember the road was treacherous and lots pot holes, and very narrow between Carmel and San Simeon. I will plan for 101 north and shoot west on 68 west to Monterey. Thanks for the tips, Les and Pepe.

A lot of great spots to shoot. Was there about 10 years ago and took this one with my first digi cam, Epson RD-1.....heading to San Simeon
    Can be very foggy there, but lucky for me the fog was still at sea, when I shot this pan:

Big Sur Coastline - A1 California
    by Ron (Netherlands), on Flickr

My Flickr

Drew Wiley

Julia Pfeiffer park - not only the beach and waterfall as posted above, but the woods and creek uphill from Hwy 1, also Garrapata Beach nearby. Pt Lobos, of course (avoid weekeds). Lots of interesting views and turnouts on Hwy 1 itself headed south. The winding little road from Lucia uphill has wonderful open vistas of hillsides falling into particularly lovely blue ocean shades. Jade Cove is fun is you're into beachcombing for pretty pebbles. Hearst Castle at San Simeon is a completely realistic day trip; and it's not just the Castle tour that's interesting. Lovely views all around; and now the Hearst Ranch property below the highway is open to the public for shoreline access. Still further south, the tidepools at Cayucos are wonderful at low tide. More Bay and Moro Rock are just a little futher, but much beyond that and you hit Freeway 101. Lots to do and see. Famous photographers have spent most of their life on this stretch of Hwy 1, yet there are still plenty of ways to see and photograph things in new ways. I've obviously pointed out way more things than you need to know for just a weekend. But hopefully that weekend will inspire a lot of repeat trips. But for me in the Spring, I'd probably never even get there due to so many things interesting in between. I love all kinds of little convoluted back roads through and along the hills of the Coast Range. You didn't state where you're coming FROM, but will probably need to go more directly as you outlined if you expect some spare time on the coast itself. Don't take too much gear; it will just be a distraction. One view camera is plenty.

Ron, I try to capture the low fog. That can be interesting.

Drew, thanks for the all the detail. I will pair down to a Crown View Camera 4x5 camera and a 6x7cm rangerfinder for quick captures.

The weather stations are expecting rain this weekend May 18, 2019 in Northern California. Hopefully it will just be light showers. I am prepared for rain, hopefully a little rain will change the atmosphere and perhaps bring about something spectacular to capture.

Les

Jeff, I just read that J. Pfeiffer PK is closed indefinitely, tho you may still be able to see the waterfalls from mile 36.2. I'd call them to verify, I mean give a jingle to the nearest park and I'm sure they have proper info.

Les

I camped at Fernwood last winter and it was pretty good.