Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to try Techpan

The Rookie

Going to try Techpan

I've got a box of Kodak Technical Pan that was given to me years ago. I later scored some pouches of Technidol. I've had the developer in my freezer for about 10 years. I'm starting to think that I should use this stuff. I have a few questions for those who may be familiar with this...

ISO? Should I just shoot this at 25? Is push/pull an option with this stuff?

I'm using a Jobo with Expert Drum. What temperatures, dilutions and times would be good?

Are other developers (Rodinal?) okay to use?

Typically, I would look forward to some trial and error to dial in my favorite workflow but I only have 24 sheets and 3 doses of developer. It would be good to get a handle on a starting point.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Re: Going to try Techpan

I'd sell it on ebay. Chances are good someone wants to use it WAY more than you.

Drew Wiley

Tech Pan has tremendous contrast flexibility, but gravitates toward very high contrast; so for ordinary pictorial purposes you need special low contrast developers; Photographer's Formulary still has these. ASA 25 is a good starting point. See the tech sheet included with the chemistry. But remember, this film has extended red sensitivity, so you might need to filter your shots a bit differently. I don't recommend the high-RPM agitation which comes with Jobo drums unless you gently hand-roll them. Whether your old stock of developer is still good is hard to say. I wouldn't recommend Rodinal or anything else highly active. You might be able to use a high dilution of HC-110; but if it were me, I'd opt for fresh special developer from Formulary.

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I'd sell it on ebay. Chances are good someone wants to use it WAY more than you.
    NO-WAY!
    I'm known for checking the depth of a stream with both feet. This stuff can't possible be worth enough on Ebay to give up the experience of trying something new.

I do, however, have a few sheets of 8x10 Polaroid that's been in the freezer for several years. I just don't have access to a processing machine.

You're talking 4x5 I imagine? I have a bit somewhere, but my experience is more with Panatomic Aerial which is purported to be a very similar emulsion. It behaves like that for me, and is absolutely nothing like Panatomic. I think the name just indicated a speed class.

With that film I tried all the usual suspects of ordinary developers including the classic recommendation of very dilute HC110. I got usable results but nothing worked very well until I tried dilute xtol. I need to find my notes, but diluted at least 1:3, and that from my replenished stock. That combination finally gave me relatively normal contrast and a fairly usable speed of about EI 16, the same as often mentioned for Tech Pan at normal contrast. I can look up details if you are interested. The Photographers Formulary, or custom POTA developer might be better; I liked this because I was shooting 6.5 x 8.5 and 8x10 and went through a fair bit of developer. Plus, I had it.

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    You're talking 4x5 I imagine? I have a bit somewhere, but my experience is more with Panatomic Aerial which is purported to be a very similar emulsion. It behaves like that for me, and is absolutely nothing like Panatomic. I think the name just indicated a speed class.

With that film I tried all the usual suspects of ordinary developers including the classic recommendation of very dilute HC110. I got usable results but nothing worked very well until I tried dilute xtol. I need to find my notes, but diluted at least 1:3, and that from my replenished stock. That combination finally gave me relatively normal contrast and a fairly usable speed of about EI 16, the same as often mentioned for Tech Pan at normal contrast. I can look up details if you are interested. The Photographers Formulary, or custom POTA developer might be better; I liked this because I was shooting 6.5 x 8.5 and 8x10 and went through a fair bit of developer. Plus, I had it.
    I have a few unopened pouches of Technidol. Wouldn't it be best to use that?

I've been using Photographer's Formulary TD-3 developer with good results.

This is 35mm from a bulk roll using a Contax IIIa:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-12-004.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	191301
    Ethan

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Technidol LC powder or Technidol Liquid?

Either way, I'd be very wary of 10+-year-old developer, especially since you don't have enough film to burn some of it confirming developer integrity. Regardless of the theoretical stability of the developer mix, over such a long period there's just too much risk of a microscopic breach of the package sealing resulting in enough oxygen and/or moisture getting in to cause trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Yes, if it is still good. But you asked about other developers. I also meant to mention that, to me, Rodinal would not be a particularly good option. I too had some packs of Technidol but gave them away before trying them. For me it wouldn't have really helped because I've got quite a lot of this similar film.

Good luck. Should be fun.

Fun stuff -- love it, but then I want all the contrast I can get (DR of ~3 is nice!) My times would do you no good.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China