Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab in Paris

Lab in Paris

I have just been awarded a grant to make a new body of work for a few weeks in Paris.

I do not feel comfortable bringing exposed film home, does anyone know a reputable lab they trust with sheet film in Paris?

This will mark the first time traveling with sheet film (8x10)

Thanks everyone!

Re: Lab in Paris

This page on Galerie-Photo has a list of resources in France, including some labs in Paris - perhaps a starting point for some inquiries?

http://www.galerie-photo.com/produit...boratoires.htm

Congratulations and good luck!

This page on Galerie-Photo has a list of resources in France...
    A starting point indeed, but I just made a random check and found a listed company that I knew back then, now extinct since 15 years.
    Probably the premier pro lab is Pictorial Service (Picto). I've been using Negatif+, but only for MF.
    I do not feel comfortable bringing exposed film home
    You should also be cautious about entrusting your sheet films to a lab never before tested by you. Start with a limited-risk experiment.

Hello from France!

Another lab in Paris processing all kinds of films up to the 8"x10" format is Arka Labo.
    http://www.arkalab.com/arka-photo-la...ka-address.php
    This lab is one among of the very few in Western Europe processing black and white slides (formerly AGFA SCALA, and now several other B&W films suitable for the B&W photo-chemical reversal process).

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Hello from France!

Another lab in Paris processing all kinds of films up to the 8"x10" format is Arka Labo.
    http://www.arkalab.com/arka-photo-la...ka-address.php
    This lab is one among of the very few in Western Europe processing black and white slides (formerly AGFA SCALA, and now several other B&W films suitable for the B&W photo-chemical reversal process).
    Thank you! Merci!

I wonder how navigating Paris and this trip will work with my 8x10 camera. This will mark my first international trip with the camera, it is both exhilarating and making me shiver in my boots.

I wish you a good stay in Paris.

If you found accommodation downtown Paris, upon your arrival, probably at Charles de Gaulle airport, if you take public transports, during the first travels, be very cautious about thieves since you'll be tired, jet-lagged and much less reactive.
    Once all your luggage will be stored where you'll stay, things will be much easier.
    Usually the LF camera on a tripod attracts sympathy from the public.
    To the best of my knowledge, well-known restrictions to the use of a camera on a tripod in Paris are still enforced at some places, first of all, the Louvre gardens. So do no try to unfold and set-up your camera there; I mean inside the Louvre gardens.
    No problem if you are along the banks of the river Seine, there you are on the public domain.
    Formally, Paris public squares and public gardens obey certain specific restrictive rules, but those rules do not seem to be enforced like "anti-tripod" rules near the Louvre castle.
    Otherwise, camera on a tripod is permitted almost everywhere provided that you do not obstruct street or pedestrian traffic.

There are some subtle regulations regarding image rights, for example, pictures of the Eiffel Tower.
    In France, unlike in Germany or Switzerland where "freedom of panorama" is the rule, buildings protected by architect's rights, even seen from the public domain, cannot appear on a published photographs, be it for commercial or non-commercial purpose, without a prior negociation with the owner of artist's rights. At least in principle.
    The Eiffel tower in day time is now 100% in the public domain as far as image rights are concerned, no problem in day time.
    However, decorative lights of the Eiffel Tower at night are considered as a piece of art with restricted rights!
    The Grande Arche de La Défense is protected as far as image rights are concerned, and still will be for many years ...

Many buildings of the old Paris as documented by Eugène Atget no longer exist, but some still exist. If you walk in the old streets between Bastille Square and centre Pompidou, a place named "Le Marais" you'll find plenty of all buildings suitable for wonderful "Atget-tripod-hole" sessions

It is probably a good idea to devote some free time walking without the LF camera to find good views and get an idea of walking distances and walking times. And getting accustomed to the city, finding good places, local grocery stores, cafés, small friendly restaurants, etc...
    You can cover surprisingly large distances on foot. For example, a few years ago, with some friends, within less than 3 hours we made a nice walking tour from Bastille square, walked along the Bassin de l'Arsenal, a surprising river port in the heart of the old Paris, then we followed the right-side river bank (now a 100% pedestrian itinerary prohibited to motor vehicles) toward Notre Dame cathedral, crossed the river to Île de la Cité near Notre Dame, came back on the opposite bank of the river, and eventually came back to Bastille square crossing on another bridge. Usually inside Paris I use the Metro, and I was very surprised to discover that several places I already knew could be connected on foot within a very reasonable time.
    Regarding Notre Dame, unfortunately, since the dramatic fire that occurred in the roof on April 15th, 2019, the surroundings of Notre Dame inside l'ïle de la Cité might be closed to the public.
    So better to go there without the LF camera to take note of which streets are still open to the public and which is the best itinerary.
    Otherwise, Paris public transportation system is very efficient, Metro station cover a very dense network, if you combine with buses or taxis, you have a lot of opportunities to reach any spot within Paris.

Have a nice time there!

Are you willing to share what your grant topic is ????

Also maybe an assistant from Paris area to have your back while roaming.

Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by archphotofisher View Post
    You willing to share what your grant topic is ????

Gregory
    I’m making pictures inspired by and in conversation with Atget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by archphotofisher View Post
    Sweet!!!
    I’m very grateful for my institution and their support of faculty. I’ll return and work with students to curate and put on an exhibition of the pictures. It’s becoming more uncommon to find high schools with wet labs but I’m 34 and fully supported. Helping to keep it alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk