Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ilford FP4+ Developer Inquiry

Re: Ilford FP4+ Developer Inquiry

Pyro for sure gives me the results I like best. Better than D76, rodinal, etc.

But this is of course subjective, so you’ll find as many answers as good developers.

Drew Wiley

It's quite compatible with a variety of developers. Originally I used Perceptol, but now for many years have exclusively used PMK pyro.

Can't help but like the result in ID11 stock.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    I'm returning to LF after a hiatus of many years. Previously, I shot Fuji Velvia 50 exclusively and had the sheets developed at the lab. Now I intend to shoot PF4+ and develop myself at home. I'm tempted to use Ilford's DDX, but wanted to get some input before buying my chemicals.

Accordingly, what is your favorite developer for FP4+?

Thanks in advance.
    As others have said, there are a lot of equally valid suggestions. HC-110 is an excellent choice for a number of reasons.

1) It has a very long shelf life.

2) Although you can mix up a stock solution (with a limited shelf life), it is very economical to mix it directly from concentrate using a small syringe (the kind you get with some cough medicines)

3) It is very versatile and can be used in just about any dilution to control contrast.

I use Xtol, wich is my favourite developer, also for fp4+. IMHO Xtol is technically very difficult to beat, 1/3 speed advantage in the shadows vs D-76. Finer grain (stock) while sharper, what looks contradictory, but it's what Kodak says:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	___grain.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	191297

And also it is vitamin c based (Ascorbic acid), so very low toxicity and environment friendly. I mix the stock solution with (deionized) distilled water, and lasts more than one year. I use it 1:1 mixed with tap water.

Of course one may like many developers because of many reasons, but I find xtol is one of the the best choices for general usage, so a good choice to start with.

This is the effect vs rodinal, that is seen exagerated in P3200, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSvQh17SxkE Rodinal is also a fantastic developer, but one needs to know why wanting to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Pyrocat-HD.
    Xtol 1+1.
    Pretty much what I do mostly at the moment. With some 510-Pyro thrown in once in a while, but I like the tonality better that pyrocat and mytol/xtol give.

DDX is surely good and very convenient too. Xtol is good. Hard to go wrong with FP4 anyway.

I've worked with a variety and settled on one I can prepare just before use, from the actual ingredients (there are only 2). You might find this article on D-23 Developer helpful.

If you are willing to purchase a scale you can mix all your own chemistry on demand and use formulas that are simple and effective. See "Odorless Stop Bath" and "Favorite Fixer: Alkaline" here.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Excellent comments and suggestions - thank you all.

Since I do not have a traditional darkroom in my home, I'll be using a Stearman SP-445 tank that will let me develop 4 sheets at a time. I'm excited to get started.

It's an excellent solution for people who don't have a darkroom at home. Tim (the creator) has a bunch of videos you should watch. In particular, watch the one about squeezing the tank before sealing! If you don't squeeze it as shown in the video, it leaks and you'll think it's defective. If you squeeze it properly, it works perfectly.

Excellent comments and suggestions - thank you all.

Since I do not have a traditional darkroom in my home, I'll be using a Stearman SP-445 tank that will let me develop 4 sheets at a time. I'm excited to get started.