Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford FP4+ Developer Inquiry

Jeffery Dale Welker

Ilford FP4+ Developer Inquiry

I'm returning to LF after a hiatus of many years. Previously, I shot Fuji Velvia 50 exclusively and had the sheets developed at the lab. Now I intend to shoot PF4+ and develop myself at home. I'm tempted to use Ilford's DDX, but wanted to get some input before buying my chemicals.

Accordingly, what is your favorite developer for FP4+?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Ilford FP4+ Developer Inquiry

Rodinol
    Tin Can

My take on my favorite three developers: https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blo...ite-developers

Foamer

I've been using hc110 with great success. Easy to use and consistent results. I have the Stearman sp445 tank which is very easy and hard to screw up.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Go with your instincts and use DDX. I acquired a bottle of it recently and was very impressed with the results and in concentrate it is quick and easy to use. Its only downside is it is not cheap. FP4+ is enormously accommodating to a host of developers and everyone has their favorite and there is no right or wrong answer. Glad you are getting back in the game. I am also a fan of Ilford multi grade printing papers as well which are designed to respond more favorably to a lower net film density than you may remember.

Rodinal.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

The decision will also hinge on your planned use of the negatives; silver printing, alt printing, contact printing, scanning, or so on.

I print in platinum and in carbon, so my contrast needs are quite different than silver printing, which can be different if you will be only scanning the negatives.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

HC-110 is a good general purpose developer and very convenient to use. It's also cheap.

I'm currently using Xtol and like it a lot. It's more expensive than HC-110, and less convenient to use than HC-110 (only in the sense that you have to mix it up from powder). Once you have the stock solution divided up into convenient containers it's easy enough. I mix up a batch and store it in 250ml mason jars. I use the Stearman SP-445, so one 250ml jar of stock plus 250ml of distilled water gives me the working solution to fill that tank. I chose Xtol because I shoot primarily TMAX 400. Were I shooting FP4+ or HP5+ I could be happy with HC-110. (By the way, if you're shooting sheet film, I would give HP5+ a good hard look; in side-by-side comparisons of FP4+ and HP5+ I didn't see a marked advantage on any dimension from FP4+ -- and the speed bump of HP5+ is well worth it to me.)

Regarding contrast, how you develop may have as much to do with the result as what developer you use. I just compared four scenes, each shot on TMax 400 with two negatives (same basic overall exposure). I developed the first shot for each scene in Xtol 8 minutes 45 seconds, four agitations every minute. I did the second one for each scene with same developer, same time, but four agitations every 30 seconds. That's a significant increase in agitation, and it produced a very noticeable increase in contrast.

My two cents: just pick one that's available and convenient, and stick with it until you understand it well. Based on sheer convenience and cost alone, HC-110 would be a good choice.

Practically no other developer than pyrocat hd and it's variants... I use and like pyrocat hdc since it works the same as hd and has one less ingredient to source.

If I couldn't do that, probably D76 which can also be versatile.

Pyrocat-HD.
    Xtol 1+1.