Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Camera set up for hiking

Re: Camera set up for hiking

You are confusing the two Parks, Yavapai Lodge being on the Rim of the Grand Canyon (I assume you stayed at the Yosemite Lodge near Yosemite Falls.) The Valley is 3000 feet lower than the Grand Canyon Rim. Of course, hiking the Rim Trail at GCNP is relatively flat!

You hiked to the Vernal Falls Bridge, I'll assume, which means you choose one of the two most popular hikes for day visitors. A 400' rise over 1.6 miles. If you plan to return to Yosemite, spend time at GCNP and get your lungs built up for the altitude! Also wait until the HWY 120 opens in the Spring so that visitors get more spread out -- and you'll get to explore out of the Valley itself.

The hike up to the top of Yosemite Falls is another good one for views -- even if one does not make it all the way to the top of the falls...Columbia Rock has a great Half Dome view. But it will make the hike you took seem like a stroll -- the last time I was there my boys carried my pod and film holders, and I carried the 8x10. They all disappeared on me and I had to carry everything down...the rascals!

Unfortunately the road the Glacier Point will be closed all this summer for repair/upgrading -- or fortunately if one is willing to hike up the 4 Mile Trail and have the place almost to oneself!

Middle of the week always has the least visitors. On weekends, one needs to start early in the morning before the day visitors arrive at the Park. It takes many visits to learn the area and to learn how to avoid the crowds.

Taken from one of the 'secret' spots in the Valley:

Upper Yosemite Valley
    4x10 Platinum/palladium print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yos_Valley.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Well, in Feb through March and often up to June the lower canyons hill country is an alternative, and some years can have the most spectacular wildflower shows anywhere in the country. But people just gotta get up to Yos Valley as fast as they can. The main problem this time of year, especially with a bit of a drought, is that they're taking an early opportunity to jump-start mopping up messes and making road repairs before the tourist season. But unless it's the midsummer herds, it's pretty easy to find your own little spots by simply avoiding all the "must-see" trails. I grew up quite near Yosemite, but have taken only a handful of shots in the Valley itself, yet every one of them was different from anything else I've ever seen anywhere in terms of specific vantage point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    the last time I was there my boys carried my pod and film holders, and I carried the 8x10. They all disappeared on me and I had to carry everything down...the rascals!

Upper Yosemite Valley
    4x10 Platinum/palladium print
    Sounds like you either need leashes or shock collars for your boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

...or box kites!