Thread: Greetings from Tijeras!

Greetings from Tijeras!

I'm in New Mexico, USA, in the mountains just outside of Albuquerque. Like many of you I found this forum through searches related to my growing interest in large format photography. I've been lurking and reading for about a month now and decided it was time to step in. I got into film in the 1980s and kept shooting 35mm into the '90s, but then kids and digital happened and I left film and the darkroom behind for a couple decades. Now I am shooting film again, and am having a blast picking up where I left off all those years ago.

A friend of mine recently asked why I was interested in shooting so many different formats (I also use tiny and medium formats). Well, I didn't go looking for this stuff, it found me! I've had a pretty good pile of gear land in my lap from a variety of sources during the last year, most of it gifted, including a 1953 Crown Graphic with lenses and other goodies. That got me started tinkering and thinking, and I was already shooting and developing 35mm and a little 120. Why not 4x5?

Then I responded to a local Craigslist ad and picked up a neat little kit including a 1940 Speed Graphic, 10 film holders, and a few other useful things. The film holders had film in them (400TMY) and were dated back to 2003 and 2005. I developed 10 sheets and found only two sheets had been exposed. I thought what might have been unexposed film in the remaining 5 holders turned out to have been shot after all, every sheet! Thus my first 4x5 shots turned out a little different than I thought they might (double exposures). I also bought some fresh sheets and have made two exposures so far. I will develop those when my new SP-445 tank system arrives. The old Yankee tank requires a lot of chemicals and isn't the greatest for small batch work.

I'll note here that I'm starting out using my two vintage Graflex 4x5s. There's the '53 Pacemaker Crown which I modified to give more front lens board movements than the original design allows (more on that later). I'm also using the '40 Anniversary Speedie because I find the focal plane shutter fascinating, and I have a neat Kodak Anastigmat barrel-mounted lens to use on it. Another note is that I am using a hybrid analog/digital workflow. I'm focused on making good negatives for now, studying and practicing the Zone System, but I'm sure the printing will come around at some point too. And, I have a few years experience working in a full time product studio for a large online retailer. I used tilt/shift lenses for quite a bit of the more detailed work, so I have a decent start on understanding and using movements.

Glad I found this group. Thanks for reading!
    --
    Greg

Re: Greetings from Tijeras!

Welcome aboard!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Welcome neighbor.

Thank you for the hospitality! Hmmm, maybe some of us local New Mexicans could get together sometime. Coffee and Cameras?

Cheers!
    --
    Greg

Coffee? A meet somewhere to shoot? I'm in. From the west side of ABQ. And welcome!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Welcome. I travel to NM every once in a while and love the state. It's a great place for LF photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    Coffee? A meet somewhere to shoot? I'm in. From the west side of ABQ. And welcome!
    Thanks for the welcome! I hadn't thought about going out for a group shoot. I know some good places out in the sticks to go for old melting adobes and other ruins. Or something in town? I've always wanted to get into the old rail yards downtown, as cliche as that may be. I'll think more about this and post something to the "Groups and Meetings" section, unless someone beats me to it.
    Last edited by GMOG; 16-May-2019 at 17:23. Reason: Spelling error
    --
    Greg

Hi Greg,
    I'm in Edgewood, a metope of us locals sounds good. Welcome!
    b

Welcome!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Greg,

Welcome to the Land of Enchantment....you are not to far down the road from me....time, space, and distance is relative in New Mexico....Jan