Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightweight Tripod for Large Format Recommendations

Re: Lightweight Tripod for Large Format Recommendations

I do not mean to be impolite or unhelpful, but this exact question has been asked so often, and even very recently that I'm encouraged to answer, "Use the search feature!"

Quote Originally Posted by seezee View Post
    One of the nice things about the Gitzo 1542 (and others in the series) is they have a hook on the bottom of the center column. Carry an empty sandbag, fill it with rocks or dirt, and hang it from the tripod to dampen vibrations. Dump it and move on the next subject.
    Nah. Assuming you're photographing in a place where driving a tent stake into the ground isn't prohibited, a much better solution is to carry a tent stake and a stout piece of cord, and run the cord from the hook on the bottom of the center column through the hole in the tent stake, pulling firmly upward on it to compress the tripod against the ground for each exposure. Then you can relax and leave it loose while you compose your next photo. When it comes time to move on, assuming you've chosen the right sort of tent stake, you can easily pull it out of the ground, brush the dirt off, wrap the cord around it, and toss it back in your pack.

The benefit of this approach is that it's not only cleaner -- no need to be getting your hands dirty playing in the dirt all day -- but usually lighter to carry and, perhaps most importantly, also far more effective at stabilizing the tripod, since a cord pulled taut doesn't swing in the wind as a bag full of dirt does, adding more energy into the system that the tripod will subsequently need to dissipate.

Edited: If you're photographing in a place where using a tent stake is prohibited or impossible, you can simply forego the stake and step on the cord with your foot, pinning it to the ground. You adjust the tension by adjusting the position of your foot along the cord ... works great!

The "hanging" of a bag (of rocks or whatever) below the tripod should be done with the bag solidily touching the ground -- not swinging.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The "hanging" of a bag (of rocks or whatever) below the tripod should be done with the bag solidily touching the ground -- not swinging.
    Yes, this is clearly a better approach.

But even so, the bag will still function as a sail compared to a piece of cord.

Quote Originally Posted by lcpr View Post
    I’ve been happy with my Gitzo 1542T + Arca P0 with my 4x5 cameras (was a Tachihara and now a Linhof Tech V) but it definitely isn’t enough for 8x10. You have to factor in the weight of the film holders and the leverage a dark cloth will have over the head/legs. I use a 3 series Gitzo for my 8x10 instead, no complaints there. I suppose you could get away with a super light 8x10 like an Intrepid though.
    .Your first hand experience is very useful to know. And that your traveler holds the Tech V steady should mean that a 8-9 pound weight is fine on those legs. What is the longest lens that you have used with this setup successfully?

Thanks Chris, Vaughn and Audii. I will look into a cord and a long enough bag to transfer vibrations to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    With light tripods... from time to time place a toy laser pointer in the front standard, it will tell you the vibration, the wind effect and the time you have to wait since you insert the holder until vibration stops
    So I have done this for close subjects. The thing with distant subjects is that it becomes hard to observe or track the motion of the spot. So the way I do it now is to put on a longish lens, start up live view and magnify to the max and observe how much the image moves. With the aluminium there is a fair bit of ringing visible for distant subjects and a 200mm focal length. But it will be an interesting exercise to do it with the LF gear at close range and extrapolate the results to long distances. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchak View Post
    .Your first hand experience is very useful to know. And that your traveler holds the Tech V steady should mean that a 8-9 pound weight is fine on those legs. What is the longest lens that you have used with this setup successfully?
    The longest I've used on that setup is a 210mm, I do have a 300mm but that's more for my 8x10. I also use the 1542+P0 with my Pentax 67 kit and I use the 200mm on that quite regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Nah. Assuming you're photographing in a place where driving a tent stake into the ground isn't prohibited, a much better solution is to carry a tent stake and a stout piece of cord, and run the cord from the hook on the bottom of the center column through the hole in the tent stake, pulling firmly upward on it to compress the tripod against the ground for each exposure.
    Brilliant!
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design