Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Camera, Chicago

Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Off the LF topic, but does anyone know if there is an excellent old school watch repair place in Chicago that can do CLAs on high end Swiss watches? I can be in the area of Chicago being discussed within 50 minutes from my hometown by using Amtrak, but I don’t know any good watch servicing shops in Chicago. Any suggestions?
    Ask Rolex or Omega in NYC who are authorized centers wherever you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Not sure, but most of USA says 'suggested retail price' on a lot of stuff. Whose suggestion is the issue.

However in most of the years past I have noticed price anomalies from Ilford site and differences between USA vendors. And I posted here about it.

The little research I have done this year shows a better consistency.

I always shop everything to death.
    Suggested retail is set by the distributor for their product. In most instances the dealer, if not bound by contractional agreement, sell at whatever price he desires. There can be restraints set by the distributor on what price the dealer can advertise the product for. That is called MAP, minimum advertised price.
    Once the merchandise the shipper’s facility the merchandise’s title passes to the buyer. The buyer can sell it for whatever he likes. But if he violates any agreements with the supplier he might lose his right to buy more from the supplier.

One oddity I spotted, which I think is now corrected was 7X17 film was 50% more than 8X20... and at per square inch nearly double.

Check a few retailers and check Ilford.
    Tin Can

Hard to predict when Ilford ships ULF orders.

A few years ago I ordered 7X11 film by special order and got it in 2 weeks. It was in stock somewhere...

Central Camera is very close to the Art Institute and our LF Violin maker.

I stop at all 3 if I am in town. The best burger and cheapest is at the fancy steakhouse with a fantastic view.

I might get lucky like I did in 2009 and find a $75 room at the Palmer House. That's a story too.
    LF violin Maker?

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

He's here but it's up to him to identify himself.

I also knew a French Horn maker.

Quote Originally Posted by p martinez View Post
    LF violin Maker?
    Tin Can

I used to use a community darkroom in the basement of a building in pre-gentrified Wicker Park building. There was a luthier who working in a different unit in the same basement. He did some work on double basses. When you typed "LF Violin Maker" I thought for a minute you meant a cello/double bass maker (the "large format" version of a violin...)

I lived near Club Foot from 1996 then Bloomingdale Art's Building from 2003 to 2017 where I had a Darkroom.

I was in Roger's Park from 1972 but just sent my 35mm film out mail order.

Did you know Underdog Loft or the one on Clybourn a second floor North of Amitage. I forget what they called it.

We gotta know people...I was at Exit a lot from the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by p martinez View Post
    I used to use a community darkroom in the basement of a building in pre-gentrified Wicker Park building. There was a luthier who working in a different unit in the same basement. He did some work on double basses. When you typed "LF Violin Maker" I thought for a minute you meant a cello/double bass maker (the "large format" version of a violin...)
    Tin Can

He's here but it's up to him to identify himself.

I also knew a French Horn maker.
    Went to the symphony a few months back to hear a Bruckner concert. Sat next to a guy who was rather knowledgeable but seemed to know his stuff. Turns out he used to play a French Horn in the symphony; then he told me he made them now and had moved out of the city to Evanston. Said that the horns used in the concert were his. I was impressed! Probably your guy!

Gotta be the same guy. Not many making French Horns in Chicago.

He had a good business going in 1982 when I first visited his shop. I sold him tools and it a real pleasure.

He had a years long waiting list at that time. All made from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by GG12 View Post
    Went to the symphony a few months back to hear a Bruckner concert. Sat next to a guy who was rather knowledgeable but seemed to know his stuff. Turns out he used to play a French Horn in the symphony; then he told me he made them now and had moved out of the city to Evanston. Said that the horns used in the concert were his. I was impressed! Probably your guy!
    Tin Can