Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Camera, Chicago

Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

One more place to visit when you go to Central, just two blocks down Wabash and across the street: https://www.roosevelt.edu/centers/gage-gallery
    Jeffrey Dionesotes
    http://photodevoto.com/

Roosevelt - my alma mater. Received a degree in music education there a lifetime ago. I need to get back to Chicago!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiago is such a great town for photography. Central Camera is kind of a epicenter. Gallery scene is pretty great too.

15 min walk from Central Camera there is the Peter Lik Gallery. https://lik.com/pages/lik-fine-art-chicago at 444 North Michigan Ave. Love or hate it, it is wonderful place to visit to see what people (some) are buying in large format. The gallery is in the "tourist art" part of town. The real fine art gallery section of Chicago is not too far away in the gallery district
    https://www.chicagogallerynews.com/d...ts/river-north

New Orleans, LA

Stopped by Central Camera while in Chicago and we spent at least an hour just gawking at all the stuff they sell. Wish they had a website with everything listed because you'd need to spend an entire day rummaging through the store to find those items you didn't realize you needed until they are in front of you. At that moment, I only needed a red filter for my Yashica Mat and they had that. Saw quite a few Calumet 400 series cameras as well as a few 8x10's, lots of medium format gear and plenty of 35mm. Lots of darkroom and film stuff too (saw a Zone VI enlarger). They are the real deal! Can't wait to go back.

In 1952 I was 13 and rode the train from Nashville to Chicago with the sole purpose of going to Central Camera and 2 other stories whose names I have long forgotten. I knew about them because of their ads in photo magazines of the day. The ads always listed 3 prices - New (if they had them),Used and Trade In value. The crew there was wonderful to this small Southern boy and I have never forgotten them. I even have a model of the front of the store on my model railroad.

Jim, I would love to see a picture of that train set, with emphasis on the storefront.

I just saw a huge HO Train set that filled a big house and basement.

The whole house is a HO train store. 1 mile of scale track.

One of my first hobbies as a kid was a landscaped HO slot car set on 4X8' sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    In 1952 I was 13 and rode the train from Nashville to Chicago with the sole purpose of going to Central Camera and 2 other stories whose names I have long forgotten. I knew about them because of their ads in photo magazines of the day. The ads always listed 3 prices - New (if they had them),Used and Trade In value. The crew there was wonderful to this small Southern boy and I have never forgotten them. I even have a model of the front of the store on my model railroad.
    Tin Can

Altman, Helix?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Altman, Helix?
    I don't remember either of these advertising in Popular Photography or Minicam when I was young. So I Don't believe it was either of them. Of course "young" was a long time ago,and could have forgotten.

I don't remember either of these advertising in Popular Photography or Minicam when I was young. So I Don't believe it was either of them. Of course "young" was a long time ago,and could have forgotten.
    Oh, Altman was there, I’m 78 and I remember their ads in the classifieds in Pop and Modern back then.

There was also Standard but Altman was the biggest, until Ralph Altman decided that he would close the store rather then unionize.

My Deardorff came from Standard. 1967. In 1970 I started the photo club at my school. I was given a budget and went down to Central and with the help of Don outfitted our darkroom. I went for years and then moved away. I was there a couple years ago and Don and I had a great time chewing the fat. Yes, if you go, get upstairs to the office. So cool. BTW Vince Vaughn went in to by a camera there in some movie he did with Kevin James. What a cool place.