Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Camera, Chicago

Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I always felt comfortable at Helix, especially in the pro section, and on the first floor where they had vintage Leica gear. Selwyn Schwartz, whom I remembered from his days at Altmans, was a welcome mystery to me - a profound poet and consummate gentleman salesman.

Oh, the "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" was great. I walked in, got the verbal drilling and answered, "Two black paint M4s, then laughed, "AND MAKE IT SNAPPY!" Paid, and while at the counter I removed the cameras, straps, paper work and asked them to dispose of the boxes. Put the M4s in a grocery bag and left. The next time I came in to pick up a Linhof a guy named Jon helped. He was a resourceful guy, very helpful. Loved Helix!
    Selwyn was terrific! When someone came to him complaining that their lens was soft Selwyn would lend him a Linhof Cut Film Holder, not the glass plate one, and tell him to set up his camera and take two shots, one using the customer’s holder and one with the Linhof (he always loaned one of the Linhof holder with the number friskit to tell which holder shot which shot) and then check the negs for sharpness.
    Selwyn sold an awful lot of Linhof holders that way! In fact he sold more then any other dealer in the USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Selwyn was terrific! When someone came to him complaining that their lens was soft Selwyn would lend him a Linhof Cut Film Holder [...]
    Indeed, Selwyn proposed a solution in a gentleman's way, without confrontation which was unfortunately common with the young staff.

Many moons ago, I had a studio near St Louis. I had a new RB-67, which became my workhorse. When it malfunctioned, I drove it to Calumet for repair. When they found out how far I had driven, they told me to have a seat and I had my camera back within an hour. I became a regular customer after that.

The Helix website virtual tour looks pretty boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Selwyn was terrific!
    He was professional even when waiting upon a tall long-haired blonde Goyum like me. (At the time I had a stressful relationship with my Jewish Father In-law who just hated me.) Selwyn was true-north with information. I especially appreciated that he used minimal words to get to the point. Perhaps it was the poet in him. May he rest in peace. I am thinking of posting pointers to his published work. Should I?

Why not?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I had my first public exhibition of my prints at Darkroom Aids. The upstairs gallery was a beautiful setting among the curved wooden roof trusses. Doing the show was a lot of work but I learned a lot which made it worth my efforts. Nothing like rummaging around that store on a freezing cold Saturday in winter. Of all the photo shops I miss that one the most.

I visited Central Camera, and a couple of other stores in 1942. I was 13 and rode the train from Nashville just to visit the stores. I walked up the street from Dearborn station and got a room at the Blackstone Hotel. I remember the workers at Central As being very kind to a small southern boy. They even brought out boxes of older, cheaper lenses for me. I can't get back there now, but I do have a model of the store on my On30 model railroad. A wonderful memory for me. I doubt they would let an undersized bouy of 13 do all those things today.

What a great story, Jim!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Very interesting Jim.

The atmosphere in the last 20 years in Central Camera is very peaceful, a person of 13 would be welcome.

It is not a high pressure experience in any way.

I go there just to bask in the old time experience and always buy something for the privilege of seeing how things used to be.

I take my time and look at every darn thing. I wish I could have bought the Zone V1 5X7 Enlarger I admired for at least 4 visits. I also called Don twice about it.

I think they dodged me as they wanted it to go to a younger person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I visited Central Camera, and a couple of other stores in 1942. I was 13 and rode the train from Nashville just to visit the stores. I walked up the street from Dearborn station and got a room at the Blackstone Hotel. I remember the workers at Central As being very kind to a small southern boy. They even brought out boxes of older, cheaper lenses for me. I can't get back there now, but I do have a model of the store on my On30 model railroad. A wonderful memory for me. I doubt they would let an undersized bouy of 13 do all those things today.
    Tin Can