Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    88

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    Central Camera is the real deal. The kind of place that has almost vanished. But CC and staff are totally committed to what they do and helping. Great new digital stuff stuff, mind boggling vintage stuff and a commitement to film. Have ordered Ilford 20 x 24 through them.

    Worth the trip if you in Chicago or a special trip to expereince Central Camera. Make a day of just with things to do in walking distance in the downtown neighborhood. Other notible things in the neighborhood...

    https://www.alsbeef.com/ Right next door to to CC. Does not look like much from the outside but this an outpost of the fabled Al's Italian Beef. Nothing else like it and the best of all Italian Beefs shops.

    https://www.dialbookshop.com/ Used book store close by on Michigan Ave in the Fine Arts Building on the second floor. Nice collection of reasonable priced fine arts photography books

    https://www.herocoffeebars.com/ Right around the corner from CC on Jackson. Lots of cool office shops in Chicago...but this is the coolest looking. If you want to walk a few more blocks, go to the Inteligenicia Coffee at 53 East Randolph St.. Best coffee shop in Chicago. Period. https://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/locations

    Just a few blocks away on Michigan Ave is the very important Museum of Contemporary Photography http://www.mocp.org/ (free !!)

    And the Art Institute of Chicago has permanent and rotoating photography exhibits. https://www.artic.edu/

  2. #12
    Peter De Smidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Fond du Lac, WI, USA
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    Good suggestions, Francis. Might have to make a day of it soon.
    May tomorrow be a better day.

  3. #13
    8x20 8x10 John Jarosz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Iowa
    Posts
    659

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    If you go to the Art Institute of Chicago to see photography take a flashlight.The lighting is so low that it's hard to appreciate fine prints.

    I have long advocated that if their photographs are so damn valuable then make copies of the prints and present them in galleries with appropriate lighting. Their admission prices have gotten out of hand if you consider that the one thing I regularly went there to see was photography; photography that is not able to be appreciated because they choose not to present it in a gallery that is appropriate to see it.

    rant off

  4. #14
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,758

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    Baloney!

    I have dimming vision and I see better in the their galleries than most places, like any store.

    I was there 7 months ago and had a great experience.

    I always go directly down the stairs to view all the photography first, then use the almost hidden elevator to escape to second floor.

    Maybe your eyes are worse than mine.

    I pray they are not!





    Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    If you go to the Art Institute of Chicago to see photography take a flashlight.The lighting is so low that it's hard to appreciate fine prints.

    I have long advocated that if their photographs are so damn valuable then make copies of the prints and present them in galleries with appropriate lighting. Their admission prices have gotten out of hand if you consider that the one thing I regularly went there to see was photography; photography that is not able to be appreciated because they choose not to present it in a gallery that is appropriate to see it.

    rant off
    sin eater

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    331

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    Back on topic...
    My phone won't let me view the list of offerings from Ilford ULF.
    Would someone be so kind as to post it here, please?
    Thanks!
    Dugan

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I meant they sell the latest cameras all day long.

    The front windows are full of old lenses and cameras. It draws people in.

    They stock film, paper and chemistry. They send out film for developing. An active department.

    Don and 2 customers once spent an hour getting my Speed Graphic set up with the right cables and solenoids. All from gear in stock. Then he gave us a a cookie, which he often does.

    Another time Don kept me after closing at 5pm and gave a 2 hour dissertation on Leica's.

    I haven't been there in 2 years.

    I doubt it has changed at all. No need to. Retro does help sell the mystique of photography.
    Last time I was there was probably 15 years back. They had so much stuff in that store it boggles the mind. I remember they had a bargain bin and one thing that stuck with me is they were liquidating the Nikonos o-rings and Silicone grease. I bought a can of LPD, and some weird hard to find odds and ends. I remember drooling over a brand new Pentax 67II, had the meter prism, oh baby. I need to plan a trip. My wife is a retired art museum curator, we used to get into every place for free, not anymore. I didnít marry her for her cooking, that's for sure, but we got in for free most everywhere even the V&A in London, she had an appointment, otherwise, not so sure.

    Next time we go to NYC we will go broke, but you gotta live. Chicago is only 4 hour drive, need to stay out of Chicago and take light rail.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    12

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    Bought my first camera there over 30 yrs ago. I was recently wondering if they still existed. Great to hear they are still in business.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    226

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisF View Post
    Central Camera is the real deal. The kind of place that has almost vanished. But CC and staff are totally committed to what they do and helping. Great new digital stuff stuff, mind boggling vintage stuff and a commitement to film. Have ordered Ilford 20 x 24 through them.

    Worth the trip if you in Chicago or a special trip to expereince Central Camera. Make a day of just with things to do in walking distance in the downtown neighborhood. Other notible things in the neighborhood...

    https://www.alsbeef.com/ Right next door to to CC. Does not look like much from the outside but this an outpost of the fabled Al's Italian Beef. Nothing else like it and the best of all Italian Beefs shops.

    https://www.dialbookshop.com/ Used book store close by on Michigan Ave in the Fine Arts Building on the second floor. Nice collection of reasonable priced fine arts photography books

    https://www.herocoffeebars.com/ Right around the corner from CC on Jackson. Lots of cool office shops in Chicago...but this is the coolest looking. If you want to walk a few more blocks, go to the Inteligenicia Coffee at 53 East Randolph St.. Best coffee shop in Chicago. Period. https://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/locations

    Just a few blocks away on Michigan Ave is the very important Museum of Contemporary Photography http://www.mocp.org/ (free !!)

    And the Art Institute of Chicago has permanent and rotoating photography exhibits. https://www.artic.edu/
    Off the LF topic, but does anyone know if there is an excellent old school watch repair place in Chicago that can do CLAs on high end Swiss watches? I can be in the area of Chicago being discussed within 50 minutes from my hometown by using Amtrak, but I don’t know any good watch servicing shops in Chicago. Any suggestions?
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

    "If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    441

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    Does Ilford fix the prices on the ULF sales or does each store have it's own price?

  10. #20
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,758

    Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

    Not sure, but most of USA says 'suggested retail price' on a lot of stuff. Whose suggestion is the issue.

    However in most of the years past I have noticed price anomalies from Ilford site and differences between USA vendors. And I posted here about it.

    The little research I have done this year shows a better consistency.

    I always shop everything to death.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    Does Ilford fix the prices on the ULF sales or does each store have it's own price?
    sin eater

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2015, 12:49
  2. Seneca View Camera - The good news and the bad news...
    By Takizawa in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6-Apr-2013, 21:43
  3. 2012 Ilford ULF run news
    By Oren Grad in forum Announcements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2012, 12:46
  4. Central Camera - Chicago - great!
    By chassis in forum Resources
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 1-Jun-2012, 13:33
  5. Ilford: Any further news?
    By J. P. Mose in forum Announcements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2005, 15:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •