Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Camera, Chicago

Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I did go to this Darkroom Aids in the 80's.
    OMG I remember driving there from Cedar Rapids Iowa around '81. My friend knew a guy with an enormous Chevy Suburban. He bought a 8x10 Elwood enlarger there for $350. They had several more elegant models. That enlarger is still in great shape. It had brand new, then, some sort of flexible plastic bellows. I borrowed that beast, cleaned it all up. Worked great, my friend has an enormous stockpile of the 500W bulbs for that thing.

I remember the 3 of us walking in I was the shortest at 6'1". At first the salesguy looked like he was going to pull a gun. Then he realized we were harmless. I remember the fellow rubbing the hundred dollar bills on a piece of paper, some sort of counterfeit detection :-)

I know I always saw ads in the old jumbo editions of Shutterbug, like everything else, one time I tried to find it again and it was gone.

Did you guys ever go to Helix? I remember back in the day the people that worked there were a trip. Whenever one of my friends would mention Helix, the others would yell "WHAT DO YOU WANT!" Those guys were ornery. I went in there once to pick up an external battery pack for a Canon. When I asked the guy if they had it, the dude looked at me, retorted "I use Nikon" and turned and walked away! Lol. Couldn't believe it. I used to buy cheap bulk film there before it was even out of date. A roll of Plus-X was only $10. Bought tons of short date Konica Infrared film there too. Wish I could still get a 100 foot roll of film for $10. Those days are long gone. I think Helix is long gone too.

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    Did you guys ever go to Helix? I remember back in the day the people that worked there were a trip. Whenever one of my friends would mention Helix, the others would yell "WHAT DO YOU WANT!" Those guys were ornery. I went in there once to pick up an external battery pack for a Canon. When I asked the guy if they had it, the dude looked at me, retorted "I use Nikon" and turned and walked away! Lol. Couldn't believe it. I used to buy cheap bulk film there before it was even out of date. A roll of Plus-X was only $10. Bought tons of short date Konica Infrared film there too. Wish I could still get a 100 foot roll of film for $10. Those days are long gone. I think Helix is long gone too.
    Actually Helix has been reborn, but different ownership and people and location!

Well I remember 5 Helix in Chicago. 2 outside Chicago in Northbrook, a coworker worked at the East one.

There was a snail Helix outpost on Michigan Ave.

There was a tiny post inside SAIC.

But the big one was a bit west of the Loop, 3 stories of increasing rude.

The top floor was the Pro Only section and unless they knew you, stay away. Cash did not talk.

But they demoed lots of lesser gear on the second floor for us peasants. So I got some demos, then went elsewhere. Their onsite parking lot was small and a bit tricky to park in, but a rare free parking lot for Chicago.

I bought only one camera and some bits of this and that but vastly prefered B&H by telephone. They were very rude in the NYC manner and demanded really fast ordering.

I so disliked Helix that I boycotted the big closeout sale. And was glad they were gone.

My Helix purchased D70, I mentioned at Central Camera and they sold me the $17 wireless remote on the spot. Helix didn't have them. That made me a Central Camera customer.

Bob, what is the name of the new Helix Iteration?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Actually Helix has been reborn, but different ownership and people and location!
    Tin Can

Well I remember 5 Helix in Chicago. 2 outside Chicago in Northbrook, a coworker worked at the East one.

There was a snail Helix outpost on Michigan Ave.

There was a tiny post inside SAIC.

The top floor was the Pro Only section and unless they knew you, stay away. Cash did not talk.

But they demoed lots of lesser gear on the second floor for us peasants. So I got some demos, then went elsewhere. Their onsite parking lot was small and a bit tricky to park in, but a rare free parking lot for Chicago.

I bought only one camera and some bits of this and that but vastly prefered B&H by telephone. They were very rude in the NYC manner and demanded really fast ordering.

I so disliked Helix that I boycotted the big closeout sale. And was glad they were gone.

My Helix purchased D70, I mentioned at Central Camera and they sold me the $17 wireless remote on the spot. Helix didn't have them. That made me a Central Camera customer.

Bob, what is the name of the new Helix Iteration?
    Helix. It is owned by Valerie who was VP of Calumet until they closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Helix. It is owned by Valerie who was VP of Calumet until they closed.
    Itasca!

The pics of the inside look like the Calumet displays.

I will never go there, but I will be at Central Camera this year.
    Tin Can

Darkroom Aids was a fun place to look around in. I remember asking for a Beseler to Elwood lensboard adapter and the guy turned around and took one off the wall. Since I lived and worked in the NW suburbs I did most of my shopping at the Calumet Bensenville location. Sometimes down to Helix with the nice parking lot. I can recall that Helix did have another location further north before they moved to the large building. Only went to Central a couple times because of the location. Plus my needs are pretty simple and I didn't need any of the exotic things only Central may stock.

[... speaking of Helix downtown ...]

I always felt comfortable at Helix, especially in the pro section, and on the first floor where they had vintage Leica gear. Selwyn Schwartz, whom I remembered from his days at Altmans, was a welcome mystery to me - a profound poet and consummate gentleman salesman.

Oh, the "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" was great. I walked in, got the verbal drilling and answered, "Two black paint M4s, then laughed, "AND MAKE IT SNAPPY!" Paid, and while at the counter I removed the cameras, straps, paper work and asked them to dispose of the boxes. Put the M4s in a grocery bag and left. The next time I came in to pick up a Linhof a guy named Jon helped. He was a resourceful guy, very helpful. Loved Helix!

I still use a print washer made by Darkroom Aids... bought it 30 years ago (it was recommended by my teacher David Vestal). Never went to the store though; in fact I've never even been to Chicago (NYC was much closer). But these stories are great- keep 'em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I still use a print washer made by Darkroom Aids... bought it 30 years ago (it was recommended by my teacher David Vestal).
    David Vestal: "You can crop a square anywhere." A saint.