Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Camera, Chicago

Central Camera, Chicago

I just got this email from Central Camera.

I am very glad they are finally getting their online act together. They are fantastic in person. Go there now! Closed Sundays. Both a modern store and historical anomaly!

But I really like that they are offering free in store pickup of any ILFORD 2019 ULF order and sending emails! They did verbally offer this for years, But now they have discovered email!

While I NOW live 400 miles away from Chicago, I may make a trip to pickup my order at their store. By train.

It's my favorite photo store, the last camera store left in the Chicago. There is one other but it's not LF.

"
    Central Camera Company
    ILFORD ULF 2019

Posted: 10 May 2019 09:37 AM PDT

Central Camera Company is accepting orders for Ilford’s 2019 Ultra Large Format (ULF) film program! Pre-paid orders must be received by Friday, May 24th, 2019. A full list of the 2019 items is available on Ilford’s ULF website

Central Camera Company is an authorized US distributor for Ilford films, and we’re taking orders now for Ilford’s 2019 Ultra Large Format film program.

Once a year, Ilford produces some of their most popular films in hard to find sizes and formats. These include film for ultra large format and collectible cameras that are no longer manufactured.

Films available this year include Ilford FP4 Plus, HP5 Plus, and Delta 100 Professional. Not all films are available in all formats. A full list of the 2019 items is available on Ilford’s ULF website

HOW TO PLACE AN ORDER:
    • Email BOTH finishing@centralcamera.com and sales@centralcamera.com with your specific order details.
    • We will provide a quote for products at the best possible price.
    • Place your paid order before close of business on Friday, May 24th, 2019 (5:30pm US Central Time)

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    • Orders must be prepaid. No exceptions.
    • Special order only: orders are non-returnable and non-cancelable.
    • Deadline for orders: 5:30pm US Central Time, Friday, May 24th, 2019
    • Delivery of film to Central Camera Co. is expected to begin in October, 2019.
    • Orders will only be placed once payment has been received, processed, and verified.
    • All purchases will be billed in US Dollars.
    I• Illinois sales tax of 10.25% is applied to orders shipped within the State of Illinois or picked-up in-store.
    • Buyer is responsible for providing full shipping address and delivery instructions at time of purchase.

SHIPPING AND DELIVERY
    • Buyer must pay for shipping and insurance.
    • Prices quoted and invoiced at time of order are EXCLUDING postage.
    • Accepting orders from the United States only, no international shipping.
    • Orders will be sent via USPS Priority Mail.
    • Shipping charges will include insurance and a handling fee of $7.99.
    • Actual shipping costs will be calculated based on package size/weight to customer’s address.
    • Central Camera is not responsible for any taxes, etc., imposed on items shipped within the United States.
    • We will only ship to registered and verified address.
    • FREE local pick-up available at our store: 230 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago, IL 60604
    • Please contact the shop to arrange pickup: sales@centralcamera.com / 312-427-5580

The post ILFORD ULF 2019 appeared first on Central Camera Co..

You are subscribed to email updates from Central Camera Co..
    To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery powered by Google
    Google, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States
    Tin Can

Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

I"ve never been! If you make the trip, let me know, and I'll try to meet you there.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hard to predict when Ilford ships ULF orders.

A few years ago I ordered 7X11 film by special order and got it in 2 weeks. It was in stock somewhere...

Central Camera is very close to the Art Institute and our LF Violin maker.

I stop at all 3 if I am in town. The best burger and cheapest is at the fancy steakhouse with a fantastic view.

I might get lucky like I did in 2009 and find a $75 room at the Palmer House. That's a story too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I"ve never been! If you make the trip, let me know, and I'll try to meet you there.
    Tin Can

I've been to Central Camera a couple of times in the past few years. I wouldn't call the store modern in any sense. In fact, I am surprised they have a computer to send you an email. It is fun to rummage around in the cardboard boxes where they keep all the stuff they haven't be able to sell for the past 50 years. You may even find something you want. They are pleasant to deal with though.
    Last edited by faberryman; 11-May-2019 at 11:09.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	central camera.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	191225

Chicago Central Camera

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I've been to Central Camera a couple of time in the past few years. I wouldn't call the store modern in any sense. In fact, I am surprised they have a computer to send you an email. It is fun to rummage around in the cardboard boxes where they keep all the stuff they haven't be able to sell for the past 50 years. You may even find something you want. They are pleasant to deal with though.
    +1! You should see the office area, and Don has some interesting old cameras up there.

I meant they sell the latest cameras all day long.

The front windows are full of old lenses and cameras. It draws people in.

They stock film, paper and chemistry. They send out film for developing. An active department.

Don and 2 customers once spent an hour getting my Speed Graphic set up with the right cables and solenoids. All from gear in stock. Then he gave us a a cookie, which he often does.

Another time Don kept me after closing at 5pm and gave a 2 hour dissertation on Leica's.

I haven't been there in 2 years.

I doubt it has changed at all. No need to. Retro does help sell the mystique of photography.
    Tin Can

Now I really want to go.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The street is changing fast.

Across the street is the Jewelry Building which has car elevators for shop owners to park safely by their shop 12 stories up. They took their stuff home every night. I wonder if the Deli still runs on the second floor. I bought gold there. Small amounts for melting down to do lost wax casting of rings. The old chains of gold were sad until melted it. Dubious origins.

Nowadays some very sneaky looking rich people are seen driving into the same building. The guards do not like cameras.

Altman Shoes had 7 stories below the street with every size shoe. Athletes with giant feet shopped there. It closed...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Now I really want to go.
    Tin Can

I love Central Camera. My father, who was the director of the Institute of Design, was a friend of Don and introduced me to him many years ago. I no longer live in Chicago, but that store holds a special place in my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk