Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Field" 4x5 Graflex Graphic Mod

"Field" 4x5 Graflex Graphic Mod

I received a 1953 Pacemaker Crown Graphic as part of a lot passed down to me from the estate of a deceased photographer. I've modified the camera to provide lens board movements not possible otherwise. I've added forward tilt capability as well as left and right swing. It is a bit fiddly working with swing, but having the ability opens up many possibilities for using this camera creatively. And all it cost me was a bit of my time and thought.

To start I removed the view and range finders from the box, as well as the built-in cable release. I need this thing to fit into my pack, so trimming off the excess was required. I was careful to organize and pack all the items and original fasteners so they could be reinstalled on the box easily at any time.

What about movements?

Some folks turn the front standard around to allow forward tilt. While I like that idea I also wanted to be able to use backward tilt when needed without having to go through the process of flipping the standard around. My solution was to cut two holes for the set screws into the frame opposite the original holes. I also had to remove the original adjustable stops to permit the movement. This also allows for left/right swing when the camera is oriented vertically. Here's a photo of the assembly after completion of cutting the holes (sorry you can't see them!):

The main limitation of this mod is that in order to use backwards tilt the set screws must be removed and relocated to the forward holes in the frame. That could be a bit too much to ask while out in the field. The parts are pretty small and could get lost easily. My solution to this problem will be to cut another pair of holes dead center of the frame. That would allow both forward and backward tilt, more than enough for most work, and the standard will still be convertible for more movement either way if needed.

The idea of adding swing came to me after noticing that the front standard already had a fair amount of "slop" that allowed for a small amount of swing. I removed the standard and took a look. Here's what's under there:

You can see the guides on the outside, and the two clamps which I've already scribed with the radius to cut along. I'm going to cut the corners off the clamps and remove the outside guides. Here is the finished work:

The standard clamps down as well as it did before with zero wobble or looseness. And now I've got a 4x5 field camera for almost "free".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crown_Graphic_Mods_2.jpg   Crown_Graphic_Mods_1.jpg   Crown_Graphic_7.jpg   Crown_Graphic_Mods_4.jpg  
    --
    Greg

Re: "Field" 4x5 Graflex Graphic Mod

This is way cool, Greg! I've got one of these, need to try this.

Nice work. Just the idea for forward tilt is worth it.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

But you had forward tilt all the while...

Drop bed, tilt lens back fully, and a full range of front tilt...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Indeed! And point taken. I thank you for your comment.

For me, my mod is better and more fun. I now have more options, provided by my own hands, using my own tools and skills. This camera can be used either way now.
    --
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post

Drop bed, tilt lens back fully, and a full range of front tilt...

Steve K
    Steve, this works but only for a limited range of focal lengths and focused distances.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing

I appreciate every comment. Thank you all. Since taking that photo of the finished camera I've acquired a Fujinon - SW 1:8/90 lens mounted on a Copal shutter. Initial experimentation looks good as far as all the movements go. I took 4 shots with this camera using this lens, an interior and exterior of the house, two sheets for each scene, but they were double exposures on someone else's used film! I'll make another go soon using fresh film.

One thing I'd like to have for this camera is a better focusing screen. It's not exactly the easiest to focus on, especially out in the corners. I took the fresnel out to see how that looked and it was much darker at the edges. I'm using a vintage B&L 3.5X loupe (I love vintage tools). Perhaps I should come up with a higher power loupe and try that, but it seems to me that part of the problem is the fresnel and the sharp lines it imposes on the scene. It's hard to see fine, distant details see through that. I'd also like a screen with a grid. How are those lines cut into the surface of the glass? Is is possible to scratch those lines in myself? Which side? I've got tools that would easily cut the surface with a fine point.

And seeing how this is a DIY section of the forum, I will pull out the tools used for my mods and snap a photo or two so those who are interested can see what I used. I'd say the swing mod is a bit more involved than some folks are going to want to get into, requiring working under a little magnification and using a steady hand. It would be easy to render the standard useless by removing too much material from one place.
    --
    Greg

The fresnel is needed for proper spacing of the gg, as it goes on the inside (toward lens, with the grooved side towards lens) or it will not focus correctly... The grainy side of gg goes toward lens side, and smooth glass side goes out back...

If you want to mark lines on gg, get a hard lead drafting/drawing pencil with a sharp point, and take drawing & measuring tools to lay it out... If you make a mistake, just wash it off grainy side of gg...

You shouldn't be able to see the fresnel lines through gg, as it is on the inside of gg...

A good wash of the gg should help lighten up image slightly...

Steve K

I’ll second a good wash. I recently took apart the glass on my Super Speed Graphic, washed with dish soap, and after drying, sprayed with the anti-static spray I use on my scanner glass. The difference in light through the ground glass was about the same as opening several f/stops.