Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: EBay works Perfectly NOT! I prefer LFPF FS/WTB

Re: EBay works Perfectly NOT! I prefer LFPF FS/WTB

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Attachment 191226
    Ignoring this massive text, then trying to force the issue by paying right away (instead of talking to the seller or waiting for a revised total), while knowing you needed to pay more for shipping is something people do when they want to make a point, not when they want to buy something, its boomer logic.
    “boomer logic”?

I’m calling BS on this.

This has nothing to do with any kind of logic other than the mere expectation that you get what you bargained for. eBay has figured out a way to make sure they get their’s at the expense of others. This is not a generational issue and your post reeks of entitled generation whatever fuzzy thinking.

When an item is auctioned for $X.XX with $Y.YY shipping, that’s the deal. But not on eBay for years. The only flaw here is to transact business there and expect basic fairness. You won’t get it. Or maybe sometimes.

The only defense I can make of their system is that if you choose to play in it and expect something other than their stated rules you should stay home. But its a rigged game from the get-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    “boomer logic”?

I’m calling BS on this.

This has nothing to do with any kind of logic other than the mere expectation that you get what you bargained for. eBay has figured out a way to make sure they get their’s at the expense of others. This is not a generational issue and your post reeks of entitled generation whatever fuzzy thinking.

When an item is auctioned for $X.XX with $Y.YY shipping, that’s the deal. But not on eBay for years. The only flaw here is to transact business there and expect basic fairness. You won’t get it. Or maybe sometimes.
    In 1,500 eBay transactions (buying and selling) I've had problems with 3. But I've never been foolish enough to buy from a Chinese shipper, or someone with poor feedback, or someone who doesn't understand what they're selling.

You had a bad experience, and you're bitter. Fine. That doesn't mean your experience is anything near the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
    You have the option to set a fixed price for shipping instead of using the calculator. Also, the rates calculated by eBay are for on-line purchase of postage; if you pay at the Post Office, you'll pay more.
    It did give me a choice, clicked on it, but still just brought me to the auto postage... It wouldn't go back, and would not let correct the new quote, and the s/h feature was disabled too... I called them and they said there was a "glitch", so just call your buyer...

I checked other postings of heavy tube amplifiers, and every one had a way low shipping price so not just me... Tried others over weeks and months, and the shipping was still low unrealistic, so no hurry for them to fix the "glitch"...

Seems that they will do about whatever to help sell to a buyer, but not protect the seller so much in many ways... I'm turned off by them, and I have to sell some things for my boss soon, and I've told him about this, but sometimes the only way to sell to a wide audience...

Buyers are usually not aware that selling can be such a headache, and can still bitch even after getting above average service, and not bother to even leave feedback after a perfect transaction...

Not all sellers are out to get them!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I can get an accurate estimate from the Canada Post website, what I can't control is the shipping quote eBay gives the buyer on my behalf.
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    It did give me a choice, clicked on it, but still just brought me to the auto postage... It wouldn't go back, and would not let correct the new quote,
    Steve K
    Whilst I hear your experiences I do not understand how or why they happen.

When I put something for sale, eBay either gives a suggestion/recommendation which I change because either I want another postal/courier service or the stated postal cost is wrong [eBay have not updated their database regarding UK postal charges] OR I put in what I desire [without the suggestion/recommendation appearing on my screen.
    In either case my stated postal cost does not change when the item is listed; and the buyer pays what I requested in terms of postal/courier costs.

regards
    Tony

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    Whilst I hear your experiences I do not understand how or why they happen.

When I put something for sale, eBay either gives a suggestion/recommendation which I change because either I want another postal/courier service or the stated postal cost is wrong [eBay have not updated their database regarding UK postal charges] OR I put in what I desire [without the suggestion/recommendation appearing on my screen.
    In either case my stated postal cost does not change when the item is listed; and the buyer pays what I requested in terms of postal/courier costs.

regards
    Tony
    Ebay asks me the weight and dimensions of the parcel, and which postal services I wish to use for each region, be it Canada, USA, or overseas. Ebay then gives shoppers from each of these locations a 'shipping cost' of their calculation, presumably based on Canada Post's published rates, for shipping from my postal code to the buyer's. After they buy, Ebay then automatically invoices the buyer that amount. The issue is that the cost eBay gives the buyer, both when browsing and on their automated invoices, is always significantly less than Canada Post's calculator gives me as an estimate for a parcel of that weight and dimension going to that location. When I mail the parcel, I have to pay what Canada Post's calculator gave me as a cost, not the lesser amount eBay charged the buyer and remitted to me (minus their 15% fees, of course). In other words, eBay's calculated and invoiced shipping cost is not really based on Canada Post's published rates, they do this to cheat sellers into selling at a lower price.

I can state in my sale that buyers must wait for my invoice before paying, but eBay does not enforce this policy and sends their automated invoice anyway, and most buyers pay upon receipt of that automated invoice, usually within a minute of buying. So without some means of adjusting shipping costs, I consistently lose money on shipping. The only adjustment they allow when setting up the sale is a fixed-price 'handling charge', which if I enter an average, will overcharge people in my city and undercharge people in Asia. I used to be able to send the buyer another invoice with a higher shipping cost, and ask for the difference, but I can no longer do so. This has been a problem especially with buyers who register with a USA address, buy the item, then change their shipping address to China before paying for the item (yes, eBay allows this). I am forced to send an email with an explanation and request the difference in shipping charges by sending a Paypal invoice.

Clear?

Edit: I do have the option of setting a fixed rate for shipping, by country or by region (Europe, Asia, ...). I would have to spend 1/2 hour for each sale looking up pricing on the Canada Post website and manually calculate rates for shipping to each region each time I listed an item for sale, and then there's the issue that Canada Post's rules for shipping Small Packet change by country (the weight limit changes), and their services like Tracked Packet are not available to all countries in a region. So I would have to give fixed shipping costs for 2-3 services to each region hoping one of those services actually meets all of Canada Post's requirements.

If it's a rare $5,000 lens, I could get away with a high fixed rate that would cover everyone, but when you're liquidating a bunch of <$50 items, you simply won't sell if you do this. Buyers won't buy if they don't have a reasonable shipping cost showing up on their screen as they're shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Clear?.
    sounds horrendous

regards
    Tony

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    sounds horrendous

regards
    Tony
    I've been selling on fleabay since the '90s. Every so often I get scammed again because they change their rules again and someone finds a way. Then I get mad and quit selling for a year or so, don't find anywhere else to move most of the stuff I have, so I break down and start listing again. It helps if you can gain some detachment from the process, and look at them as a necessary evil that you can hate if it makes you feel better, but they don't care either way. I have similar feelings about cops, politicians, and my family, among others.