Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EBay works Perfectly NOT! I prefer LFPF FS/WTB

EBay works Perfectly NOT! I prefer LFPF FS/WTB

So a few dislike the FS section and how it is run?

I just got fooled by this eBayer, who changed the shipping cost and cancelled the sale. Early this morning.

First he lied about his location, he is not in CA but in China.

Shipping did seem too cheap, but China often ships very cheaply, way cheaper than USA can ship to China.

Then he asked for $20 more but before I could reply he cancelled the sale and it is now invisible. Ebay disappeared the sale from 'My EBay'.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/linhof-kard...97.m4902.l9144

Obviously not the end of my world, but every transaction I have done on this forum has been flawless.

Both as seller and buyer.

Thank you Mods for a good FS site!
    Tin Can

Re: EBay works Perfectly NOT! I prefer LFPF FS/WTB

Hi Randy

Thanks for the heads up!
    We need to be vigilant.
    The typo was a tip off, not an English speaker.

Cheers,

Serge

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    So a few dislike the FS section and how it is run?

I just got fooled by this eBayer, who changed the shipping cost and cancelled the sale. Early this morning.

First he lied about his location, he is not in CA but in China.

Shipping did seem too cheap, but China often ships very cheaply, way cheaper than USA can ship to China.

Then he asked for $20 more but before I could reply he cancelled the sale and it is now invisible. Ebay disappeared the sale from 'My EBay'.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/linhof-kard...97.m4902.l9144

Obviously not the end of my world, but every transaction I have done on this forum has been flawless.

Both as seller and buyer.

Thank you Mods for a good FS site!

I, too, much prefer selling here vs eBay.

All potential buyers should keep in mind the age-old truth caveat emptor irrespective of the source of the sale of interest.
    Whilst there are no guarantees in life I'm surprised that Randy [apparently] did not contact eBay about the matter in post #1

regards
    Tony

You don’t often see here the half truths and flagrant lies by sellers who know nothing about what they’re selling!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    All potential buyers should keep in mind the age-old truth caveat emptor irrespective of the source of the sale of interest.
    Whilst there are no guarantees in life I'm surprised that Randy [apparently] did not contact eBay about the matter in post #1

regards
    Tony
    Randy had no loss. He didn’t pay extra and the transaction was canceled, so he had no standing to take it up with eBay. The worst outcome for him was disappointment.

eBay is actually pretty good for buyers, but selling there requires a bit of self-insurance. I have recently returned a couple of items that didn’t function at all, and eBay handled the return automatically, including providing a return shipping label. Of course, the seller ended up with paying for shipping both ways, but had they really tested what they sold like they claimed, maybe they wouldn’t have had to. But buyers have all the control, and they can be unscrupulous, too.

I would always sell LF stuff here first, not that I’m much of a seller. As a buyer, I didn’t always have perfect transactions here, but buyers and sellers would usually rather work it out than risk their forum reputation. That’s why we added the advisories section.

The one advantage to looking here is that sellers have no excuse for not knowing what “good working order” means.

Rick “who always looks here first before buying most photography stuff” Denney

Rick is correct, as usual!

I was only disappointed, but barely as I already have 2 of those very nice Linhof Lens Hoods.

I have 3 of the cameras it fits.

I am also making an adapter to fit one on an old Deardorff S11.

This is a hobby for me, never a business.
    Tin Can

I have had a couple bad experiences here (and APUG) in buying equipment and one when selling. Cameras sold as 'users' that were not, a 5x7 camera that reeked of cigarettes and not in the condition advertised. My selling experience was a package of items, including a 90mm lens that had fungus that I did not see. I offered a full refund plus shipping back, but all I got was abuse.

So buyer beware on any sales. I have also had good experiences here, too.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Facebook is now the big marketplace for person-to-person photo gear sales. Lots of stuff selling and lots of folks looking for stuff. eBay is up and down it seems to me. Most of my higher-end sales are on eBay. Facebook better for low-dollar items. Lots of young folks thinking they can buy an 8x10 kit for $500, hence the slow sales of higher-dollar stuff. Still some dealers trolling sales there for stuff they can flip.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Randy had no loss. He didn’t pay extra and the transaction was canceled, so he had no standing to take it up with eBay. The worst outcome for him was disappointment.

eBay is actually pretty good for buyers, but selling there requires a bit of self-insurance. I have recently returned a couple of items that didn’t function at all, and eBay handled the return automatically, including providing a return shipping label. Of course, the seller ended up with paying for shipping both ways, but had they really tested what they sold like they claimed, maybe they wouldn’t have had to. But buyers have all the control, and they can be unscrupulous, too.

I would always sell LF stuff here first, not that I’m much of a seller. As a buyer, I didn’t always have perfect transactions here, but buyers and sellers would usually rather work it out than risk their forum reputation. That’s why we added the advisories section.

The one advantage to looking here is that sellers have no excuse for not knowing what “good working order” means.

Rick “who always looks here first before buying most photography stuff” Denney
    Sure, he had a loss. Just not in the newly constructed ebay version of law. EBay abrogated the usual laws surrounding these transactions with their terms of use. But of course with the seller in China, he can do anything he wants with impunity. Who is to challenge him?

What the seller did would violate many state’s consumer protection laws to say nothing of the most basic contract law. But they’re on the other side of the world and eBay cons everyone in to believing that they will police their sales. It is to eBay’s benefit for any sale to happen so they promote their business as a world wide marketplace and gin up sales with the knowledge that a certain percentage will go bad, but not enough to cut into their bottom line depending on how they re-draw the rules.

The expectation of the very most basic benefit of the bargain is what makes trade happen. On a macro scale their system works (for them) , but for Randy it didn’t. I am afraid to sell anything there after the last transaction several years ago where the buyer misrepresented his location and then tried to return a bogus item, not the same as I sold him. Fortunately I had pictures and he lost. But I never was compensated for my time in proving him to be a cheat. In the end, my sale of a $60 filter cost me money.