Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Failure of Vision

Re: A Failure of Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I hope you took Archimedes with you. He was very tired.
    I thought he was from upstate NY.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Twins, in another dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I thought he was from upstate NY.
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I eagerly wait for the robot drone that will deliver takeout food from a local restaurants. I drive only when necessary... which unfortunately is about 2 hours per day.

40 years ago I got a ride from Eugene OR to San Diego off a college ride board.

6 strangers in a VW Bus. We took turns driving until...we approached LA. I declined!

Suddenly the youngest tiniest woman said she would drive. She said she grew up in LA. She had not driven yet.

Then she took charge and drove that ancient heap like an expert and safely got us out the other side. She really did know how to drive LA. Old VW Buses are not for the faint of heart nor are they easy to drive well.

I couldn't get a ride to Phoenix so I flew commercial. Cheap enough.

There I bought a worse 1964 VW Bus with no brakes. Fixed the brakes in a parking lot and drove it to Chicago.

Fantastic journey. The end of a year of wandering.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I eagerly wait for the robot drone that will deliver takeout food from a local restaurants. I drive only when necessary... which unfortunately is about 2 hours per day.
    Tin Can

I drove a 63 VW Bus over the Grapevine into LA at night in a storm (getting a ride from Humboldt to LA with friends in 1972). I was faster than the loaded trucks, slower than the empty trucks. Using the truck lane and using the headlights in the (then) normal way to communicate with the truckers, it was fine. The truckers were willing to work with a bus load of Humboldt Hippies -- very professional. Same thing when I was hauling mules (two or three in the truck, two in the trailer) in the 1980s, up and down dirt roads back in the Yolla Bolly Mountains -- respect the log trucker drivers and they'll return it.

I can not even turn the headlights off in my 2002 VW Eurovan, now -- not a big problem, it can climb the Grapevine at 70mph.

I go days now without climbing into a vehicle.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I still miss my 1970 Campmobile. I wish I still had it.

Rick “No, not really” Denney

I bought a fresh restoration of a Bay WIndow Westfalia in 2010 in Halifax.

Then sold it as it was too nice and I was freaking out about scratching it. Not on my shift!

Buses were always a work truck for me. I prefer no interior behind the front seats.

I also sold this unrestored 1964 in 1997 as it was also too nice. The NOT ART was stenciled on it 1997. Not PS.

71 Halifax Bus by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

1964 NOT ART BUS Type II by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Last week crossing Nevada after a few days in Zion NP. A friend who likes a higher viewpoint!

My parents (RIP) gave me the van in 2010 when they got too old to camp (88yrs) and my dad kept scrapping the right side on the entrance to their garage.

Image not LF, but there is an 11x14 and a 5x7 in the van...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VanGeir.jpg  

What is the gas mileage on the Wasser Bus?

My 6 Air Cooled Bus never got more that 19 mpg and usually less.

My F150 always gets 20 and up to 25 mpg.
    Tin Can

On the highway, the Westy gets a steady 20mpg. As a van, it still has to push its way through the air. It requires premium gas. A friend has a 97 Eurovan. We basically have the same engine, but VW tweaked the engine, raised the compression, and I have about 25% more horsepower than the older Eurovans. With 210,000+ miles on it, it purred its way across Nevada. While I could easily maintain the 80mph limit on Utah's Hwy 15, I don't like driving a van that fast. I love Hwy 50 and other smaller roads of Nevada -- I can go 50 to 60mph without slowing anyone down as I take in the landscape.

PS -- I have the Weekender model. Back seat folds down into a bed (otherwise can seat 7 people), the top pops up (two of my boys would sleep up there, the other with me 'downstairs'). It has a table (not usable with the bed out), but no sink, stove, etc. It is about 16" shorter than the fully equipped Westy vans (easier to drive/park in town). Also much lighter. A perfect one-person photo adventure mobile.