Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Forest Grove, Ore.
    Posts
    3,645

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    Please define "bumping"?

    I can think of two definitions . . .

    A. Reposting an add with a fresh thread after 30 days.

    B. Adding a post to an existing thread.

    Originally, the term "bumping" was used when each additional post caused an existing thread to be "bumped" to the top of the category's queue. That type of "bumping" no longer occurs in the FS/WTB section.

    If "B" above, is it outside the new guidelines to use multiple posts for adding additional photos at the initial posting of a sale?

    As for changing a price, I rarely do that until I start a fresh thread after 30 days on the same sale.

    From my perspective, it would be nice to shorten the time after which one can repost an add in a new thread on the same sale. (From 30 days to something less.)

  2. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,173

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    Thanks for the question, Neil.

    Closing a listing after 30 days and re-posting a new thread with the same offer is still allowed. This will bring the listing back to the top of the subforum index. I've added this to the text of the announcement.

    The clarifications announced here have to do with additional posts within a thread.

    In starting a thread, you can use as many posts as you need to accommodate all of your text and pictures. But these posts must be made within the first 30 minutes. After that, any changes to the description must be made by revising the existing posts.

    Although adding posts no longer brings a thread back to the top of the FS or WTB subforum indexes, it still brings it to the top of the "Today's Posts" and "New Posts" views. In practice, a subgroup of sellers has continued to violate the spirit of the guidelines by bumping aggressively within the wiggle room that was allowed by the last revision. The clarifications announced here draw bright lines so that there is no longer ambiguity about what is allowed.

  3. #13

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Thanks for the question, Neil.

    Closing a listing after 30 days and re-posting a new thread with the same offer is still allowed. This will bring the listing back to the top of the subforum index. I've added this to the text of the announcement.

    The clarifications announced here have to do with additional posts within a thread.

    In starting a thread, you can use as many posts as you need to accommodate all of your text and pictures. But these posts must be made within the first 30 minutes. After that, any changes to the description must be made by revising the existing posts.

    Although adding posts no longer brings a thread back to the top of the FS or WTB subforum indexes, it still brings it to the top of the "Today's Posts" and "New Posts" views. In practice, a subgroup of sellers has continued to violate the spirit of the guidelines by bumping aggressively within the wiggle room that was allowed by the last revision. The clarifications announced here draw bright lines so that there is no longer ambiguity about what is allowed.
    No one sees the sub forum index, it occupies such a small % of the screen


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Tonopah, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    6,195

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    At this point I think it'd be better to just close the entire section and let it go.
    Agree. If it's so painful for everyone, shut it down. The "concession" hasn't worked.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

  5. #15

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Agree. If it's so painful for everyone, shut it down. The "concession" hasn't worked.
    I agree...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12,307

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    Good grief what an odd bunch of Radicals calling for FS thread shutdown.

    The FS/WTB threads works well for me and I am a radical.

    Let it be
    sin eater

  7. #17
    LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Washington
    Posts
    3,674

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    Way too much trouble to sell anything and most on here have little or no success, myself included. Way to many restrictions and I understand what the moderators position is. So whatever! The forum discussion have not been very interesting as well. I don't spend much time here anymore .

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    745

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Way too much trouble to sell anything and most on here have little or no success, myself included. Way to many restrictions and I understand what the moderators position is. So whatever! The forum discussion have not been very interesting as well. I don't spend much time here anymore .
    +1

  9. #19

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    +2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Carterville, Il
    Posts
    279

    Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Good grief what an odd bunch of Radicals calling for FS thread shutdown.

    The FS/WTB threads works well for me and I am a radical.

    Let it be
    Amen, Randy. If one does not want to use it, don't use it. It obviously works for some, as I see quite a few SOLD notifications.

Similar Threads

  1. Bumping in the Classifieds
    By Leigh in forum Feedback
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 21-Jun-2015, 15:44
  2. Rule Change - Bumping
    By Ralph Barker in forum News
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2015, 14:11
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2012, 12:09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •