Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

Based on three years of experience with the current version of the Forum guidelines, we are adding the following clarifications to the rules on bumping within the FS and WTB subforums. These clarified rules go into effect immediately, but will not be applied retroactively.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rules on bumping: clarification of FS/WTB guidelines

Posts that violate these rules may be deleted without notice. Repeated violations may result in suspension of FS access.

FS threads

* Price changes may be made through an additional post, but no more often than every 7 days. This is a per-thread rule, not a per-item rule. For example, if you post a thread with 7 items, you may not post a price change for item #1 on one day, a price change for item #2 on the next day, item #3 on the third day, etc. You must include any desired price changes within a single update post, made no more frequently than every 7 days. Price changes must be a minimum of 10% or $10, whichever is greater.

* When ALL items in a listing have sold or have been withdrawn, a post saying so may be added immediately prior to closing the thread.

* Closing a listing after 30 days and re-posting a new thread with the same offer is still allowed.

* NO OTHER BUMPS ARE ALLOWED.

* Please enter descriptive text and pictures within 30 minutes of starting the thread, using as many posts as needed for the amount of text and number of pictures in your description. After 30 minutes, any updates other than price adjustments or closure of the thread must be made via edits to the initial posts. This includes, but is not limited to, the following types of change:

- Changes in item description.
    - Changes in attached photographs.
    - Addition of "or best offer".
    - Changes in payment or shipping terms.
    - "Payment pending" notices.
    - Notices that some of the items in a listing have sold or have been withdrawn.

* If edits are made to correct errors in identification of the item(s) being sold, the moderators can assist with any corresponding changes required to the thread title.

WTB threads

* All changes should be made via edits to the original post. No bumps are allowed.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 7-May-2019 at 22:19.

Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

Thanks, Oren (and the rest of the crew)! Nice and clear.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Looks good!
    sin eater

Not trying to ruffle feathers but people have privately told me that these rules have driven them from selling here anymore because posts get lost and people just donít see them...

Iíve noticed a stark drop in the number and quality of items being sold here and them finding their way into Facebook groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Not trying to ruffle feathers but people have privately told me that these rules have driven them from selling here anymore because posts get lost and people just don’t see them...

I’ve noticed a stark drop in the number and quality of items being sold here and them finding their way into Facebook groups.
    We've had this discussion many times, but I guess I need to repeat the bottom line once more.

The rules here are designed to enable us to manage the FS and WTB subforums in a way that's even-handed and fair to all, within the constraints placed on us by our forum software, and without consuming a disproportionate share of the moderators' volunteer effort.

The main purpose of the Forum is to share information. The FS and WTB subforums are secondary features, provided as a convenience for members, but limited by the constraints we face. The FS subforum is neither designed nor intended to be a high-powered sales tool.

Finally, we are not trying to compete with other sales venues. Everyone is welcome to choose whichever best suits their purposes. If you decide that your needs are best met by listing elsewhere, that's fine - we don't begrudge the choice, and we wish you well.

That's cool...this place was not created as a marketplace. The selling of 'rare' film, lenses, and cameras at very high prices should be done elsewhere. My opinion, of course.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Attila speaks. Go ahead and ban me, I haven't sold anything here since you changed it all.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That's cool...this place was not created as a marketplace. The selling of 'rare' film, lenses, and cameras at very high prices should be done elsewhere. My opinion, of course.
    Did a few spoil it? Because Iím a Normal guy not a shop trying to profit on people. This is a niche group of people... the forum worked and they tried to fix something that wasnít broken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, just that the forum was getting clogged with for sale posts that kept getting bumped multiple times...which throws actual discussions (the reason for this forum) to the back pages that much faster. There were other reasons as well -- search for the threads concerning this issue if you would like more info.

If someone is interested in buying something, it is easy enough to click on the For Sale section every once in awhile and read all the for sale threads in one place, or to make a WTB post.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    We've had this discussion many times, but I guess I need to repeat the bottom line once more.

The rules here are designed to enable us to manage the FS and WTB subforums in a way that's even-handed and fair to all, within the constraints placed on us by our forum software, and without consuming a disproportionate share of the moderators' volunteer effort.

The main purpose of the Forum is to share information. The FS and WTB subforums are secondary features, provided as a convenience for members, but limited by the constraints we face. The FS subforum is neither designed nor intended to be a high-powered sales tool.

Finally, we are not trying to compete with other sales venues. Everyone is welcome to choose whichever best suits their purposes. If you decide that your needs are best met by listing elsewhere, that's fine - we don't begrudge the choice, and we wish you well.
    That's all well and good, but it's truly unfortunate that folks caused y'all headaches and caused these changes.

As I think we all know, LF items, especially in certain categories, are hard to find sometimes. This forum's classified was a very valuable resource for me both starting out as a LF photographer as well as for selling equitably a great number of items.

The loss of the Classifieds is still a blow to the community, even if it was always "secondary." And yes, we have truly lost the Classifieds save for a few folks having fire-sales (which are bought up and flipped on eBay/Facebook) and the stragglers still trying to use the space normally.

Like Jim I haven't sold anything I've listed here in years. It all gets sold on eBay or Facebook. At this point I think it'd be better to just close the entire section and let it go.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome