Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

Several have indicated that their only reason for forum participation is to buy and sell stuff, and the limitations on doing so render the forum not worth their time. Interests change and participation here is entirely at will, of course.

It has been true for my entire ten years here (still a newb compared to some) that the sales forum has been intended as a classifieds section for regular members to buy and sell amongst themselves. It has taken much of that time to make the FS forum act like a classifieds.

And the result is this: far less complaining about deals that went bad, incorrect listings, bump hogs, secret commercial enterprises, ridiculous prices, fraudulent claims, etc. etc. Those whose main reason to be here was sales, who felt they had to depend on practices like repeated bumping, have moved on to venues better suited to their approach. Better for them; better for those who remain. This forum is not bent on world domination and is happy to coexist with other services not central to our discussion group mission.

But there may also be some complaining about the rules as being the cause of a general decline in the use of the sorts of things we talk about and trade.

Many of us are already fully equipped, and the wave of buying used pro-grade large and medium-format film stuff being handed down from pros has perhaps run its course. Some items are getting more expensive (priced a good Pentax 67 lately?) but most are not, and this reflects the market. A year or so ago, I paid $300 in a high-end brick-and-mortar store for a Sinar P Expert kit (no lenses), with case and all the accessories, in really excellent condition. That $300 would barely have bought a Calumet ten years ago, and it’s what I did pay for a used Calumet 30 years ago when the Sinar would have been 10-20 times as much. I paid twice that a decade ago for a clapped out Sinar F that I had to just about rebuild.

If sales aren’t working as well here, don’t be too quick to blame the guidelines.

It is true that the guidelines are there to address practices about which we received abundant complaints, and which also caused many silent defections. There is no solution space here, if the objective is to make everyone happy. All we can do is remain true to the vision of this forum: a discussion group enhanced by a convenient way to move items surplus to needs to a forum acquaintance with the minimum of fuss.

Rick “respectfully submitted” Denney

Re: Clarification of FS/WTB bumping rules

Human nature is "interesting." Give people a free service, then read complaints that they can't dictate its terms.

My feeling, too, Sal -- though respectful suggestions and thoughts on the matter should be appreciated.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Some hipster Kats will demand fresh fish.
    sin eater

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post

Many of us are already fully equipped, and the wave of buying used pro-grade large and medium-format film stuff being handed down from pros has perhaps run its course. Some items are getting more expensive (priced a good Pentax 67 lately?) but most are not, and this reflects the market. A year or so ago, I paid $300 in a high-end brick-and-mortar store for a Sinar P Expert kit (no lenses), with case and all the accessories, in really excellent condition.

Rick “respectfully submitted” Denney
    I think you have correctly identified the reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    From the guidelines:

No for-sale postings by retail establishments with more than $1,000,000 in annual revenues.

The revenue limit has not been changed since this went into effect three years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    ... The main purpose of the Forum is to share information...
    Really? Okay...

And how has that change ($1,000,000 in annual revenues) worked for the greater 'Benefit' of the Forum and its Forum Members?
    --
    We now have a Forum Member that does nothing more -- Than use the Forum for his own 'personal' Sales Business.
    Has 'said' Forum Member made any 'Meaningful' contributions to the Forum (by way of 'informational' Forum Posts) as of late?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Attila speaks. Go ahead and ban me, I haven't sold anything here since you changed it all.
    Me thinks... That 'Attila' likes "Flogging a Dead Horse."
    --
    In the last three years (or so)...
    This Forum has turned into a virtual Ghostown (a deserted town with few or no remaining inhabitants).

Proof positive that yesterday was Friday the Thirteenth with a full moon. Ha ha.

"Howling at the Moon"... Has its benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    ...In the last three years (or so)...
    This Forum has turned into a virtual Ghostown (a deserted town with few or no remaining inhabitants).
    Interesting "observation" from someone who hasn't been here in a year.

Methinks you dost protest too much.