Thread: Satellite phone recommendations?

Views You Can Use

Satellite phone recommendations?

Anyone use a satphone when going beyond cell range, and if so, what works or not? Amazon sells Garmin and iSatphone, both with 15% one star ratings. Something like this would I like to be absolutely reliable. Any experience at all or recommendations for or against brands or services are appreciated. thx.

Re: Satellite phone recommendations?

Tin Can

Drew Wiley

It would be interesting to determine just how much this kind of thing has or has not progressed in a practical sense. My nephew once undertook a long expedition in a particularly remote section of the Korakoram which was actually sponsored by a satellite communication company and carried their own then state-of-the art equipment, which all miserably failed during storms. Then you've got the whole issue of battery-dependence. "Absolute reliabilty" is an awfully high expectation.

Perhaps look into a SPOT GPS locator/messenger device:

https://www.findmespot.com/en/

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Perhaps look into a SPOT GPS locator/messenger device:

https://www.findmespot.com/en/
    SPOT uses satellites that do not have (good) coverage above the Arctic Circle (and I know that from personal experience, I went 'missing' for 36h at least for my relatives back home, that's no fun as they were about to call mountain rescue costing big $$$).

An alternative for SPOT is an inReach SE+ or Explorer+ (or buy a previous gen used). They provide coverage from pole to pole with a 2x stronger transmitter, and their subscription schemes are much more flexible and cheaper. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286.

An advantage of both Spot and Inreach over a sat phone is that you can turn on tracking. That way the homefront can see that you're on the move thus alive and OK.

Inreach Explorer+ for satellite texting / tracking. We've sold a few to boaters going offshore beyond cell phone and VHF range. These guys also take them hunting and snowmobiling in the north part of the state where there is not cellular service. If you're hiking perhaps bring a USB charging battery to give it a recharge if dead batteries are your nemesis.

Views You Can Use

I went for the Garmin thanks for the suggestions.

How about the Irridium GO ? It was the unit chosen by Jean-Jacques Savin for his barrel-ride across the Atlantic.

My wife uses an Irridium to take medical call when we're hiking in the mountains. Usually works fine from the treeless peaks - but down in the trees its basically useless.