Thread: stepping up?

stepping up?

I've had an account for a while, but haven't posted. Well, I'm getting a little closer to pulling the trigger. I haven't fully decided, but I'm looking at some kind of wood 4x5 field camera. All of my photography is on location so a monorail is probably not my best option. Second, I'm cheap (or rather a bit poor), so $1000 cameras are out of the running. I'll be browsing and looking to figure out what I need. My current cameras are a collection of 35mm and medium format, and with them I shoot 5-10 rolls a month depending the complexity of the rest of my life.

I thought I'd have access to the for sale section, but apparently its not just account age, but also posting...

Re: stepping up?

Welcome!

I checked your member profile - you were indeed automatically upgraded to "For Sale Access" status already, so you should be able to see it. On the main Forum page, scroll down past the "LF Forums" section to the "Community" section.

EDIT: Of course, you're in the "Community" section if you've found "Introductions"! Give me a few moments and I'll make a screen clip so you can see what I'm talking about.

EDIT 2: OK, here you are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS index clip.jpg  

We know how much you don’t want to spend but why don’t you give an idea of how much you are willing to spend? Cheap is not the same for all people!

Welcome; if you're looking for suggestions, share what sort of photography you intend to use the camera for (subject matter and styles)

thanks! The classified are now visible.

Sorry my intro was brief--here is a little more. My photography is definitely environmental. Some is landscape, but some is more street-scape, agricultural. I make no claim to being a particularly good photographer, but I've posted some of my photos here:

https://pix.xy.cx/Film

Obviously LF will be more composed, planned shots, but I suspect they will continue to be similar.

I don't know how much I'm willing to spend, but I suspect that somewhere around $500 for a good camera that will grow with me for a while. I've been eyeballing some wooden field cameras like the Wista 45 and Ikeda Anba (what are both currently on KEH for $600 and $500 respectively). That probably my upper end, because I'll also need a lens, lens board, film holders, and some way to develop the film.

I'm not quite ready to buy, but am still trying to learn what I need to know before jumping in.