Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In search of 5x8 format

Re: In search of 5x8 format

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    If this is going to be a dedicated ultrawide camera, that makes a box camera especially attractive - it can be rugged, very fast and easy to set up, but in that format and focal length still quite lightweight.

FWIW, I have an 8x10 Hobo with the 120 SA which I had modified by adding a focus helical and a real ground glass. A mini-version of that in 5x7 with the 72 SA-XL would be a really sweet camera.
    Yes Oren, I agree, that would be a sweet camera!

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    I think I am giving the Mercury a go, could be a great solution. I will keep you all posted.
    Please do, will be very interested to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    John,

I actually have a Mercury 5x7 custom built for the 72mm XL. Zach also made for me the focus scale I calculated and it works perfectly.

To be honest, I haven't used it much yet due to time constraints and not finding the right subject, but it's a fine camera.

I can understand your want for rise so as to alleviate keystoning, but I would guess you'd run out of image circle fairly quickly anyway, so if the Mercury works, it would be a great and economical solution.

I don't have any current plans, but I do often travel down to south GA and sometimes FL for various reasons, so I could possibly get the Mercury in your hands to try sometime? Let me know. PS - love your work, as I've told you in the past! I am glad to see you back shooting film.
    Very kind of you to offer, I get up to North Florida and Georgia sometime too, maybe we can meet up? Good chance I will have the Mercury by then and we'll take the pair out shooting!
    There is actually a fair amount of rise and fall available at f32 on my current 5x8 set up with the 72xl. I think it will be limited by the Mercury more than the lens?

Thank you for the kind words by the way!

Attached are two 5x7 Deardorff backs one is for a V5 and the other a reducing back for the V8. Both seem to have enough meat where you could enlarge the opening from 6.5 to 7.5" which is what would be required for 5x8. You'd loose the slots for the sliders, but there's no such thing as a Free Lunch!

V5 5x7 back

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0239.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	191031

V8 5x7 reducing back

Name:	IMG_0238.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	191032

Very kind of you to offer, I get up to North Florida and Georgia sometime too, maybe we can meet up? Good chance I will have the Mercury by then and we'll take the pair out shooting!
    There is actually a fair amount of rise and fall available at f32 on my current 5x8 set up with the 72xl. I think it will be limited by the Mercury more than the lens?

Thank you for the kind words by the way!
    That'd be great! I know a couple locations near Jennings, FL you might like on the Alapaha River. Also, we've got a good group of LFers up here in north GA and I also have started an arts group and am looking for speakers/presenters....

I have been meaning to try the 72XL on 4x10 so I am definitely hoping it's got a bit more IC than expected. I've only used it on 4x5 with extensive movements and never found the edge of the IC so I am not surprised there's a lot left to play with on your 5x8. The Mercury internally is pretty tight but Zach is great and I'm sure he might have some tricks up his sleeve for allowing some movement.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Name:	IMG_1580.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	191106 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	191105 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1581.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	191107

Here is a look at my current set up for 5x8 on my 8x10, it works but not a very elegant solution. While Ebony was still in business, I was able to get Hiromi to build this beautiful 5x8 reducing back for my 810slw.

The other thing I am hoping to do is loose the recessed lens board. This is my 72xl, kind of amazing to be able to focus it on an 8x10 camera. I am able to cover 5x8 and still utilize some rise and fall.

The Ebony 810slw will focus my 90xl on a flat lens board, a bit of vignetting on 8x10 with that set up though.

I'm still working with 8x10 but looking to simplify difficult hikes in the swamp.

www.timeandlight.com

Name:	IMG_1580.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	191106 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	191105 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1581.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	191107

Here is a look at my current set up for 5x8 on my 8x10, it works but not a very elegant solution. While Ebony was still in business, I was able to get Hiromi to build this beautiful 5x8 reducing back for my 810slw.

www.timeandlight.com
    I’m sure Richard Ritter could make one if asked.