Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

Re: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

Dan...Tennessee has no state income tax. That's a plus right there. I checked Craigslist and there are several container sellers in Nashville and Chattanooga. There's also one in Newnan GA that has a picture of 2 containers welded together side to side. Several of the listings say they will customize containers. I saw 2-3 containers with side doors!

I'd avoid the Nashville area...land prices are high and climbing there. If you get out in the country, the only building code they really have in many places is about septic tanks.

Also spotted several 45' Hi-cube containers.

Here in Hamilton, a house is building with six containers side by side and stacked for a total of 3 stories. I am watching it go up; fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    Dan...Tennessee has no state income tax. That's a plus right there. I checked Craigslist and there are several container sellers in Nashville and Chattanooga. There's also one in Newnan GA that has a picture of 2 containers welded together side to side. Several of the listings say they will customize containers. I saw 2-3 containers with side doors!

I'd avoid the Nashville area...land prices are high and climbing there. If you get out in the country, the only building code they really have in many places is about septic tanks.

Also spotted several 45' Hi-cube containers.
    Yes, I would definitely avoid Nashville. Having lived the majority of my life in Los Angeles, I am done with big city(even though I have been more in the eastern 'burbs' of LA). I'm done with traffic, done with high taxes(one of the reasons I like TN as you have mentioned)

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Idaho has cheap electricity.

You can direct bury 'gopher cable', a name for such Romex electrical cable. In Twin Falls I know the ground freezes a couple of feet some years. PEX piping can take freezing, as I understand, but not sunlight.
    There is a grade of red PEX that can take sunlight. That is what my plumber uses.

There is a type of spray insulation that can be put on externally, used on roofs, that might do the job if earth berm is not suitable.
    As far as earth berm you would want some way of separating the metal from the earth, whether its a waterproofing system like for foundations or whatever. Bury the metal directly in the dirt and you could have some serious corrosion issues.

You're only 31 once... or, at most, twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Yes, I would definitely avoid Nashville.
    What's the Shawn Mullins lyric, LA is "kinda like Nashville with a tan"? I don't have any input about the shipping container idea (except to say that weather measured on the Enhanced Fujita Scale might be a non-trivial concern), but before you get locked into the concept, you might start talking to a Realtor about what's available in (lightly) zoned exurbs or light industrial areas here in Tennessee. Enough people have bought into the whole "crofting" vibe, at least here in East Tennessee, that you might be surprised what's available.

Another thought might be to talk to Tim Layton--I just know the fellow from his Web content, but it seems that he's taken his setup entirely off the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    You're only 31 once... or, at most, twice.
    I still feel like I'm 18 most days, all I want to do is play

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    What's the Shawn Mullins lyric, LA is "kinda like Nashville with a tan"? I don't have any input about the shipping container idea (except to say that weather measured on the Enhanced Fujita Scale might be a non-trivial concern), but before you get locked into the concept, you might start talking to a Realtor about what's available in (lightly) zoned exurbs or light industrial areas here in Tennessee. Enough people have bought into the whole "crofting" vibe, at least here in East Tennessee, that you might be surprised what's available.

Another thought might be to talk to Tim Layton--I just know the fellow from his Web content, but it seems that he's taken his setup entirely off the grid.
    Thanks, I'll look him up. My intention is NOT "off grid" as my power requirements for my sewing shop( Stone Photo Gear) and future woodworking exploits will require more juice than solar panels can affordably provide.
    I have researched generator options as well, but those require routine maintenance, and with (much) lower electricity rates in many areas of the country, I don't mind being tied to the grid.
    However, rainwater collection for the drinking/washing water would be part of the end game. I don't mind being out in a more rural area, as I enjoy my 2nd amendment rights to a terrific degree(unlike my wallet, haha, hence reloading!)

-Dan

I'll post some of my experience in the same kind of project, have you viewed the link I gave you?

- Double the size-double the costs (volume is still low, transport, insulation, area etc)
    - Insulation is nothing without ventilation
    - They are designed to be light-tight (great for darkroom but not everything else)
    - Everything must be designed for climate extremes regardless of climate control (this includes contents)
    - If considering external insulation, shade is your best friend
    - If external cladding avoid dirt (corten is great, but not that great) look for synthetic materials inert and non-permeable (weather resistant)
    - If you can't let go of the dirt idea, limit it to a rooftop garden where it is most needed, able to be controlled and maintained well enough to good effect
    - Burying should be avoided, ground contamination and corrosion (you know what they are coated with?) containers not designed for lateral load (unless willing to reinforce) very, very costly (to do properly) and even more regulation involved with whole process
    - If you ever plan on living in it, be prepared to rip out the floor

There is probably a whole lot more, this is just at the top of my head..
    Bests