Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

Eric Woodbury

Re: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

Idaho has cheap electricity.

You can direct bury 'gopher cable', a name for such Romex electrical cable. In Twin Falls I know the ground freezes a couple of feet some years. PEX piping can take freezing, as I understand, but not sunlight.

I'm skeptical. Lots of great ideas here, but I would try to get ahold of something ready-made. Just sayin'
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

After having seen military surplus photo labs for sale long ago (I wanted one) built into a Scotty small trailer, I figure an old RV or trailer would be good, as they are built up inside, and are fitted for utilities already... How big would someone want??? You can always adapt...

It would be easy to move around, and if you had to, you can store it off site if you had to get it out of the way for awhile... And you shouldn't get into code issues, but maybe DMV as it is mobile...

A used one can be less than the price of a container, and you can go on location with a rolling darkroom behind you!!!

Steve K

I am building one among a few. There are a lot of compromises that need to be made and very costly. Sure the container is cheap, but that is about it. If you plan to have it as permanent item, I would suggest a more traditional outbuild and/or extension of the house.

If you would like to know any more please feel free to PM.

Bests,
    Caleb

Played around with some stuff in sketchup this evening just to suss things out a bit, mostly for myself. Thought I might as well share though.

-Dan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkroom_Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	190951

Name:	Darkroom_Screenshot_2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	190952

Name:	Darkroom_Screenshot_3.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	190953

Les

Don't think this is really that hard to do. First, it depends on locality and what they permit (as per Eric) and they can be ultra cautious...I'd get their answer in writing. Property square footage may become a consideration whether they allow such a box (usually there is a ratio of used land - house, garage, etc. Part of their caution comes from varied places, but peeps put up all sorts of contraptions on their property, just so they can airbnb the thing :>). Ha, I almost stayed in one on the Big Island....it was a converted (short) school bus. Also, it may depend on where you may finally park, the insulation will play an important role both in heat/cold and in sound dampening. The sliding door may require a steel beam/s to strengthen the frame around it....that could be welded. I'd also bring the water or sewer into the space through the middle and from under it - preventing any possibility to freeze (where I live it has to be under ground 2ft).

One just have to be systematical, understanding when certain things need to be installed. Look at it this way, if one could create a swimming pool with a side window (no less), using one of these containers (check most recent SF Chronicle on the web), I think your project is quite doable. Good luck.

Les

Moving to Fly Over county has a couple benefits.

Land and old houses are cheaper. Regulation is less in some places.

Now is a good time to find out where it floods...I did that 2 years ago when looking for a new old home.

Some links you may have found.

http://co-modeco.com/recycled-contai...toxic-reality/

Watch this https://youtu.be/IOl_swWAkpU

I had a custom shed made by Amish builders. There are a few advantages. They can build fast. They can put it almost anywhere easily. They will move it to a new location if you meet certain conditions. I may do that. Mine was bought from https://www.cardinalportablebuildings.com/

I matched my house paint added under floor spray foam. More windows and insulated garage door. It's very quiet inside with the 2X4 sound traps. I will build out more soon. 16X40 Garage model

No inspection, no added property tax, no code. It's a shed!

Cargo trailers can provide your necessary head room. Mine is 78" but I think it's taller inside with a finished and insulated roof and walls. http://www.legendmfginc.com/products...e-V-Nose-Cargo

I also could have gotten a container 4 miles away....
    Tin Can

Having done a darkroom event in a storage container, all I can say is make sure you have lots of ventilation (louvres etc) and strong a/c as it will roast you out like a thanksgiving turkey. This was a southern Ontario summer weekend.

One idea I'd explore would be to add skylights, then use appropriate gels so you'd have one huuuge safelight (after testing of course...)
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Hey Fred,

Yes indeed, PLENTY of ventilation. Since containers have doors in one end, I would use the end with loading doors for the darkroom side, so I could crack the doors open at night.
    I have been researching about subterranean living, not as in a cave, but using earth to pile up around a structure to provide both thermal insulation against heat/cold, but also sound dampening.

But yes, I would need continuous airflow through the space.

One of the benefits (I see) of this rammed earth method of construction would be that I would not need to frame out internally on the darkroom side, in order to insulate the darkroom. This would add extra much needed space, not to mention save on overall build cost and long term maintenance.

This thread is mainly here to provide a conversation piece, and possibly open up another avenue of thought for others like myself who want a dedicated darkroom space, and might have some extra land to accommodate such a project.

Rammed Earth : You won’t Believe How They Build This

Marfa
    Tin Can