Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

Re: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

A garden hose will get water into your box, then what? Drains? Holding tanks ? Sewer?

I have a 25' metal box truck container which I use as a workshop. It has a wooden floor which is incredibly solid with plywood interior walls but little insulation. To keep it a bit cooler in the summer months I've added a second metal roof raised about 1" above the factory top via furring strips. This air gap serves as an insulator and makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    You need to think about an awning/tent/solar screens to get away from the heat from the direct sun on your tin box.

Otherwise your tin box turns in to an oven.

Shade is even more important than insulation - unless you are thinking of living in Minnesota each winter.

Let us know how you get on with the practicalities of it.

Thanks

Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    A garden hose will get water into your box, then what? Drains? Holding tanks ? Sewer?
    Quote Originally Posted by choiliefan View Post
    I have a 25' metal box truck container which I use as a workshop. It has a wooden floor which is incredibly solid with plywood interior walls but little insulation. To keep it a bit cooler in the summer months I've added a second metal roof raised about 1" above the factory top via furring strips. This air gap serves as an insulator and makes a big difference.
    This thread has garnered a bit of attention, I am currently working on the same project but going into the design, engineering and practicalities of it all. If you are interested in tracking progress or just curious please follow the link;

Long-term Project: Container Studio

You will need to sign up to the forum to access it, just for those who are truly interested. I do recommend you give it a good read!

Bests

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    My darkroom is in the back of my garage with no running water or drainage. I bring water in in jugs (distilled for processing film) and put the waste water in those same jugs for later disposal. I have an electric kettle to heat water when needed and a frozen plastic water bottle for cooling. I run a set of hoses from an outside tap (that has a filter attached) to an archival washer for prints, same hose into developing tanks for washing rollfilm. Bleaching and toning can be done outside of the darkroom. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    My darkroom is in the back of my garage with no running water or drainage. I bring water in in jugs (distilled for processing film) and put the waste water in those same jugs for later disposal. I have an electric kettle to heat water when needed and a frozen plastic water bottle for cooling. I run a set of hoses from an outside tap (that has a filter attached) to an archival washer for prints, same hose into developing tanks for washing rollfilm. Bleaching and toning can be done outside of the darkroom. It works.
    THIS ^^^

I know most people desire "this and that", but to be completely frank, I DO NOT. I desire less, and with less, to in turn be able to do more. Simple methodology, simple equipment. Focus on print quality, not how "advanced" it is technologically.
    I could most certainly do perfectly fine with the bucket method, or plumbing a drain from the sink out into a bucket outside the container/darkroom. Of course, having a drain system would be more convenient, but since I use Amidol, that stuff lasts forever compared to Dektol.

Even if I were to install a large gravity-feed holding tank inside the container, up above the sink, hooked up to a faucet/tap, using a kettle to warm up the water if needed.
    Besides, being able to make a coffee without going into the house would certainly be convenient.

Thanks for your reply.

-Dan

Don't forget canned food, much beer, plenty of ammo, and several Swedish stewardesses...

Expect a new world on the outside when you emerge... :-0

Steve K

I'd wait and see what size house you rent or buy before you go down the container route. You may find that a spare bedroom suffices for a darkroom.

After SHTF occurs they will be no emerging.

As no hidey hole will work long enough.

The planet will survive, new mutants from the depth of the oceans may evolve in a couple eons. We will not, even in the biggest bunkers.

Whistle while you work.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Don't forget canned food, much beer, plenty of ammo, and several Swedish stewardesses...

Expect a new world on the outside when you emerge... :-0

Steve K
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    After SHTF occurs they will be no emerging.

As no hidey hole will work long enough.

The planet will survive, new mutants from the depth of the oceans may evolve in a couple eons. We will not, even in the biggest bunkers.
    Well I'm not hoarding food, but ammo, water filters, and azo paper

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I'd wait and see what size house you rent or buy before you go down the container route. You may find that a spare bedroom suffices for a darkroom.
    True, but I would like to separate the darkroom from the house.

Always save one...
    Tin Can