Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

Re: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

They are miserable, my brother has the radio version in his driveway.

I got in it once.
    Tin Can

Is this something you think you will build? I'm currently working on a similar concept, since I'm a student with no idea where I want to settle down, building a permanent darkroom seems like a waste of time. Because of that, my plan is to build a darkroom in a 7x16 enclosed trailer, which would allow me to move it around wherever I go. Best of luck with your plan if you end up building it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Other option would be a wide-span style barn, sub divided into differing areas, one for sew shop, one for wood shop. Darkroom wouldn't be too hard to finagle in there I guess.

House would be a separate structure entirely, as I gravitate towards single-story structures for living in. Not afraid of heights, it's just easier that way IMO

-Dan
    I'm fascinated by containers too, but this is a good idea. I built a 30x40 garage/workshop with 1.5 floors. Upstairs is part personal hardware store, part photo equipment, 2a storage, offsite data backup, print storage. I like living in a separate place, and if a car burnt or tool malfunctioned and had a fire, my separate home is safe. If I ever need the money, I could sell or rent the home separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I told you about my big shed. It has spray foam insulation under the floor from the builder.

Now I have a dilemma. The rest is uninsulated, with a dark grey shingle roof and light green walls. Studs inside.

Now how about that Faraday Cage...
    An easy way to insulate that would be the bubble wrap reflective stuff, like Reflectix or Insulation4less. Put that over or between the studs. If over the studs, then strapping and a wall material. It goes on fast and is neat and fairly inexpensive for that sort of space. You don't even have to cover it over really. It would be a faraday cage too should you need a break from cell phones or wifi.

My 7X14 trailer has Reflectix between aluminum and AdvanTech sheathing plus floor. They would not do foam under floor, but 6 months later did...maybe good as I will add RV holding tanks under there.

It works pretty good in winter with heat. Silver aluminum roof, Reflectix also inside air gap aluminum ceiling.

The big shed has AdvanTech floor with foam under. No insulation or inner paneling. Dark grey roof.

I have remote thermometers in both and monitor the seasonal temp changes. 2 years now.

They both swing in temp, but the wood shed swings less and slower. I don't heat the shed...yet.

The trailer is warm with 800 watt electric. Adding a tiny RV forced air furnace now.

The shed needs a gable exhaust fan. The trailer vents better.

The one story ancient house needs AC and today will be in the 90's with very high humidity.

By fall a new generator with manual transfer switch for GFA and fridge. Lost power last winter and had to leave home. That pissed me off.

All on high ground as the 2 counties south are drowning.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    An easy way to insulate that would be the bubble wrap reflective stuff, like Reflectix or Insulation4less. Put that over or between the studs. If over the studs, then strapping and a wall material. It goes on fast and is neat and fairly inexpensive for that sort of space. You don't even have to cover it over really. It would be a faraday cage too should you need a break from cell phones or wifi.
    Tin Can

Relfectix would do next to nothing methinks, good for open sheds and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Is this something you think you will build? I'm currently working on a similar concept, since I'm a student with no idea where I want to settle down, building a permanent darkroom seems like a waste of time. Because of that, my plan is to build a darkroom in a 7x16 enclosed trailer, which would allow me to move it around wherever I go. Best of luck with your plan if you end up building it!
    There are several darkroom in a trailer projects I have come across. I will link back, it would be more suitable for a mobile solution than a container (portable but not mobile).
    As for the container side check my posts linking to my project on another forum, I will hope to have a barebones website up soon.

Bests,
    Caleb

I would keep solar panels in mind for net metering. Depending on where you choose to live it could benefit you.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post
    Insulation, insulation, and more insulation. Those things become ovens in the summer and refrigerators in the winter. If you are putting a sliding door in the side there will need to be some structural stuff done unless you get one of the side opening containers. A friend has one of these for a small work shop. It works well for this after a LOT of insulation. If it were me I would look for one of the mentioned surplus offices. At least it would already be wired and probably insulated well.
    Absolutely agree on the insulation. I stayed in a double shipping container during last hunting season in Colorado and it was a complete disaster. As soon as we lit the inside stove to get some heat going the complete interior of the shipping contained emulated a tropical rain forest. It rained on us like there was no tomorrow and it was just miserable. The bare metal is heavy and is not easy to insulate. You would have to use the spray foam like a big dog and that would take room from the height.

Hey all,

Reading through the comments recently, I can still see using a shipping container as a darkroom, however, placing it under a source of shade(such as in a stand of trees) or alongside the northern side(being here in the northern hemisphere) of a larger building, keeping much of the direct sunlight off of it.
    I agree on the insulation factor, however using a high cube container could allow for some extra room over a standard height container.

I have been looking at "conversion" videos for inspiration, however this project is still some years away. I'm just spitballing for now, opening a discussion of sorts

-Dan

I have seen a type of insulating foam spray in articles years ago meant to be sprayed on roofs. It must be fairly tough to be used like that but have not seen anything relating to how long it lasts.