Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

Re: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

It seems it is more about the container than the darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    The container has to be right before that darkroom can begin.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Indeed it is. Consider it being akin to choosing how you frame your home(metal frame, cinder block, wood frame, brick, etc) versus the interior dressage.

My darkroom will be centered around being small(er), highly efficient, and primarily used for contact printing 8x10 and smaller negatives. While I still plan to enlarge 4x5 and smaller negatives, only incorporating a single enlarger doesn't take up much space from the interior of a 40' "high cube" sized container, as shown in the illustrations I drew up as a rough layout.

I'm sure this is high dollar and the video doesn’t show ceiling insulation but it does look like a slick system. Might be worth investigating.

https://youtu.be/cjxaKJ7ti8U

Roger

Here is what I did 2 years ago. 16X40X8 ft walls, foam insulation under floor, custom built in 2 months by local Amish. These are all over middle USA. Same size as my Chicago condo...

Last night I estimated empty weight under 5 tons. One man drove it here, unloaded, ran it through the ditch easily. then set on treated wood blocks. It hasn't settled a bit. I may have 5 tons inside it now.

It may become a second house. But until it is converted from shed to home it does not increase my property tax. $11K delivered. They will relocate it free to a 5 county area.

IMG_404 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG_407 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG_409 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG_408 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

I watch a lot of how to youtube, few 16mm color films.

This one is fascinating. Living trees, no power tools and...

Traditional Finnish Log House Building Process - 16mm Film Scan - English Version
    Tin Can

Hey Randy,

That's a nice looking building, and a pretty nice price too!
    (My) inclination for using a shipping container is simply for something different, something easily transported. I have seen containers modified to be "roll off ready", akin to roll off dumpsters that can be winched onto a truck. This negates the need for a crane to pick up the box. However, I do not see moving a container once it has been set, but it's still something to keep in mind.

My primary concern with wood is termites and boring insects. My parents are at the point where they might need to tent their house, as the termites have most certainly invaded the neighborhood in recent years. I understand that more "robust" materials such as steel, concrete and roll up doors don't seem like most people's cup of tea when it comes to building a house, but the open-air style suits my tastes fine, and lends itself to relatively easy maintenance, versus a raised foundation and wood framing.

As I draft this reply, I'm about 10mins into the documentary you linked, fascinating! Thank you for sharing

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by calebarchie View Post
    Relfectix would do next to nothing methinks, good for open sheds and whatnot.

There are several darkroom in a trailer projects I have come across. I will link back, it would be more suitable for a mobile solution than a container (portable but not mobile).
    As for the container side check my posts linking to my project on another forum, I will hope to have a barebones website up soon.

Bests,
    Caleb
    Website is live..
    www.thecontainerlab.com

I think it's a little nuts, with one major exception, it's portable. That's the only reason to use a shipping container. These things aren't designed to be inhabited. If you live in a mild climate it could be made to work.

If you get a good container it could be shipped anywhere on earth, that's cool.

Yep, thats the idea behind mine, modular and portable. Definitely would not want to try live in it.
    The Container Lab
    www.thecontainerlab.com/blog