Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

Re: Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container

A couple of issues I haven't seen mentioned: humidity control and noise abatement. (Tennessee might be a great place to hoist the Gadsen flag and run Mozambique drills in your backyard, but even "stick" homes have condensation issues here.) It definitely might affect the other half of your business in terms of materials storage and the like. (FWIW, while we're all naturally focused on the issues of darkroom design, I think it might be the logistics of your equipment manufacturing that will be the toughest to accommodate to kinds of spaces that have been discussed.)

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    A couple of issues I haven't seen mentioned: humidity control and noise abatement. (Tennessee might be a great place to hoist the Gadsen flag and run Mozambique drills in your backyard, but even "stick" homes have condensation issues here.) It definitely might affect the other half of your business in terms of materials storage and the like. (FWIW, while we're all naturally focused on the issues of darkroom design, I think it might be the logistics of your equipment manufacturing that will be the toughest to accommodate to kinds of spaces that have been discussed.)
    Building out-draining dehumidifier wall to control humidity along with general ventilation. Designed to run off solar <300W when off-grid setup, if I can upgrade solar array then can program telecom-based remote a/c for short run when required eg over certain temp or humidity.

Condensation control - high density, closed cell spray foam and air-gap, don't put it in silly environments not suited for it, this will also counter noise along with floor insulation (echoing)

But I agree, electronics for the most part are fine but textiles and storage would be even more difficult.

When I was speaking about berming up around where the container would be, I was thinking something that would have a roof atop it, spanning the entire "hole" between the berm walls(either rammed earth or cinderblock reinforced).
    Using the berm to support a garden would be ideal, so no square footage would go to waste. Filling soil/berm with fallen logs to act as a water sponge (ala "hugelkultur"). Roof over opening would have slight pitch for drainage(into underground catchment tank, under slab). Roof could also support solar panels if desired, but would act as a direct shade for sun and weather, but still allow airflow underneath.

If doing rammed earth, it might just make more sense to pour walls thicker, so thermal mass would allow for a more stable temperature on the interior. This would also allow for a larger space to be built out, if desired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkroom_Berm.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	191231

I have seen earth-berm construction before, but it seems to be catching on. This gave me some inspiration. Doing a matching shop, darkroom and home would be cool. Guess it would up the potential budget by quite a bit though, haha!

I posted that for you in post #20.

That's a huge and expensive job. Over 2 years of hand labor by a crew.

Building for 500 years...

Big money.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

Big money.
    I know Randy , I was just reposting it because I find that build quite amazing. Yes, not cheap indeed. However, as stated in the video, THAT property will equate to 6000+ sq ft. under roof when done. WAAAAY more than I would ever need. Separate, simple structures, akin to what was shown in that video. Pouring forms could possibly be re-used so shop and house would have same dimensions, just differing layouts internally for framing.

My estimated planning as it would stand for right now:
    Housing approx 1200-1500sq ft, single level. Possibly larger should a family develop/grow down the line.
    Sewing shop approx 1500sq ft, single level.
    Darkroom/office/lightroom approx 500-600sq ft.

Again, I am a dreamer here, just airing out thoughts that have piled up in my head over the past few years. I'm here to get feedback but also promote others to think outside the box of what is considered "normal". Not just chase their dreams, but grab those dreams and really make them into reality.

All built structures started out as dreams. I don't want a "normal" life, EVER. I value the feedback of members here, even if they seem contradictory to my mission. I gladly listen, assess and consider all replies posted here

-Dan

Dan,

I am living my retirement dream. Left Chicago after 50 years. Now 400 miles south in a small down with good medical and a college.

We had pelicans stopping over last week.

I like my privacy. I seldom go anywhere as I am busy.

Have fun!

I kinda wish I had gone to Marfa long ago, now it seems too busy.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

Big money.
    If you live near an architectural school, you might convince the program to do a case study project, with resources and student labor provided...

Win, win situation...

Steve K

It's an intriguing idea. But a couple of things concern me given that fact that you anticipate a move.

First, a 40' container will be more difficult to site and to move. Even if it fits where you are today, it may not fit the home/land you move to. A 20' container would be much easier and still provide a pretty large darkroom. If that much space is truly needed, 2 20' containers might cost more to buy, but give more flexibility.

Your initial outlay is relatively low but build-out cost may be significant. The cost to move may be significant and your lifestyle plan makes moving a near certainty. An RV style shell that can be towed with a 3/4 ton pickup might have a lower overall cost.

What is the cost comparison with a prefab two car garage

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    It's an intriguing idea. But a couple of things concern me given that fact that you anticipate a move.

First, a 40' container will be more difficult to site and to move. Even if it fits where you are today, it may not fit the home/land you move to. A 20' container would be much easier and still provide a pretty large darkroom. If that much space is truly needed, 2 20' containers might cost more to buy, but give more flexibility.

Your initial outlay is relatively low but build-out cost may be significant. The cost to move may be significant and your lifestyle plan makes moving a near certainty. An RV style shell that can be towed with a 3/4 ton pickup might have a lower overall cost.
    Good thoughts, thanks for your reply

Any darkroom setup as spoken about here would be built once a place to stay has been found. This thread is all somewhat hypothetical at this point and time. However, one consideration would be to put my shop's contents INTO a container here in LA then have the container dropped at the end location. Not very hard to do, not cheap, but it would cut out the cost of moving truck, fuel for truck, etc. Again, all hypothetical at this point and time. Just fountaining ideas that might come forth, for public discussion

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    What is the cost comparison with a prefab two car garage
    Well, this is something to consider as well. Having grown up in LA, most structures are built with wood frame construction. Can last a good long while, but termites, wood rot, etc can become a hassle. In addition, I'm not much for "normal" architecture anyhow. I like different modes of building, much like how many of us photograph differently. To me, architecture can most certainly be seen as "art", completely subjective and what suits one persons tastes might not suit another at all.