Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arca-Swiss Discovery - New Version of It?

Arca-Swiss Discovery - New Version of It?

Hello,

I am studying with a professor who uses an Arca-Swiss Discovery. He said although they've discontinued the Discovery, there is a new version with the same amount of movements. Any idea what this is?

I am currently using a Linhof Master Technica but am considering making the trade for an Arca-Swiss. Obviously larger movements, but what about travel-ability and weight difference compared to a MT?
    I'm confused about the telescoping rail system for Arca and it doesn't help that they don't have a website

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks-

Re: Arca-Swiss Discovery - New Version of It?

What focal length lenses do you use?

The Arca uses base tilts, not center tilts. It is more of a working style preference.
    Having owned 2 Arca swiss monorails in the past, they are beautiful cameras, but I know that I prefer center(axis) tilts, not base tilts.
    You can get axis tilts if you have the additional "orbix" bearers, but this will add to the cost.

If you use lenses out to 300mm, and don't require tons of movement capabilities, I would stick with the MT. However, if you can try one out before purchasing one, I would suggest it.

-Dan

Right now, I'm just using a 150 and a 90, but who knows for the future. I'm not used to base tilts. Why do you prefer center tilts?

Look at the TechniKardan.

Quote Originally Posted by v.kapoor View Post
    Right now, I'm just using a 150 and a 90, but who knows for the future. I'm not used to base tilts. Why do you prefer center tilts?
    It's just my preference, some find base tilts perfectly fine, I just prefer center(axis) tilts. So I choose which cameras I use based on how I work with them(or not, thus selling them, haha)

-Dan

No thanks on the TechniKardan, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by v.kapoor View Post
    I'm confused about the telescoping rail system for Arca and it doesn't help that they don't have a website
    Rod Klukas, the Arca-Swiss representative in the US, has their system catalog posted on his website:

http://rodklukas.com/arca-swiss/

The Arca jargon is a bit intimidating. Check this pdf for different Arca system components. You could also give Rod Klukas a call at www.rodklukas.com. He's the USA Arca Swiss representative and could fill you in on the "new" Discovery and how it's different.

http://www.rodklukas.com/resources/A...era-System.pdf

I suspect this camera with the pleated, leather wide-angle bellows would work well for both your lenses.

The older style Arca Swiss Discovery models show up on EBay from time-to-time.

At high cost, you could consider the current compact Arca with 141mm 4x5 rear standard and 110mm 6x9 front standard. (Again, with the pleated wide-angle leather bellows.) Given their "similarity" to the Master Technika, they might be appealing. Be wary of purchasing used Arca "compact" cameras, at least not without vetting them on this site. They probably would work fine, but with a couple of built-in inconveniences.

I have one of those "used", non-standard Arca compact cameras, configured to my needs with a cross-selection of Arca parts. (I LOVE this camera; it would be hard to find a better camera for my particular needs.) Arca offers some beautiful equipment; but, there are also other cameras that might also work well for your needs.

Thanks Neil! In re to "I suspect this camera with the pleated, leather wide-angle bellows would work well for both your lenses." which camera are you referring to? The one you are currently selling?

Thank you.

Hi. Received your message. But, your mailbox is full. If you can delete some emails in either your Inbox or Sent, I can respond.