Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bellows factor app

Re: bellows factor app

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Do you really need it?

Life size open up 2 stops, half life size open 1 stop, twice life size open 4 stops, quarter life size open up ½ stop.

It is a progression, most don’t need an app. Just 2 rulers, one at the scene and one at the gg.
    Experience talking here and I absolutely agree. I use the Calumet wafer for the same net effect. Clearly there are a lot of mathematicians, engineers, scientists in LF/ULF photography that feel empowered to develop any number of iterations for bellows correction. But any measurement irrespective of how "careful" it is deployed and the computation that follows plays second fiddle to the image on the ground glass. And that is all that matters.

dave4242,
    I'll toss my two cents in. Find a method that you are comfortable with perhaps one or two that have been suggested. Use them find which you prefer and make your photography because in the end they are just a tool for your benefit.

And for myself I use an app or a Rodenstock circular sliderule. Because I like using them no more or less.

Michael

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I can hardly believe the trouble people will go to, just so they don't have to figure out their damn f/stop...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I suspect that it all could be about individuals finding their own way. Other wise we could all think alike, and work alike and produce the same output. But fortunately, we all have different intelligences and experiences and personal goals. If we were to place the method over the product we most likely would not be on this forum but on a digital one pointing fingers at those people who use an antiquated slow process with soft lenses instead of the most efficient tools available. But that is just an opinion.

Michael
    Last edited by Sfroza; 28-May-2019 at 07:23. Reason: SP

I agree, Michael. I'm just being a grump, but it's always befuddling to see so many work-arounds to dividing A by B.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I agree, Michael. I'm just being a grump, but it's always befuddling to see so many work-arounds to dividing A by B.
    I get it Mark. When I first joined this forum group 20 years ago I was smitten by the same issues of overthinking and not properly placing the emphasis on the end result which is the print which was an easy thing to do being an engineer. My spot meter was seriously over deployed in fruitless iterations of zone system overthinking of 5-10 minutes each which was a complete waste of time and macro was an opportunity to affirm my dedication to the rigors of high intellect and mathematical computation. Finally I realized that if it took me more than the count of 10 to select a shutter and f stop combination and be capable of estimating the macro correction within acceptable limits by memory (quickly checked with a ruler) I was not learning from the countless images that I had in the done column.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    It is a very strong possibility that I was running on a case myself, I know that I was short on patience, agian.

Michael

I've got several of the wonderful old pocket size Kodak photoguides. The little paper dial computer, I've always carried a tape measure. It's so easy. The Mamiya RZ/RB has the info on the bellows hardware. Throw in some reciprocity failure and it's geek city !

The lifesize equals two stops is a no brainer. When the extension is twice the lens FL life size. Sunny 16 and open up four stops in open shade.

If the luminosity of the sun changes radically, we are all in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    If the luminosity of the sun changes radically, we are all in trouble.
    It does here, twice a day, with alarming regularity. And then somebody started making those "cloud" things, just to complicate our lives...