Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get into IR goggles to help me with my film handling

Looking to get into IR goggles to help me with my film handling

My hands don't work the way they used too and I am finding myself in greater need of being able to see as I load and unload my film holders. I've been doing a lot of reading and searching, and I have a few questions for you folks who use IR goggles to aid you in the dark.

1- Are there affordable widefield goggles?

2-I read about people illuminating their darkroom with IR lights so they did not have to use the IR lights on the goggles. Problem is I did not find any sources for these lights. Any ideas?

3-If #2 is a DIY thing what nm am I looking for. I assume the higher the better right?

4- As for goggles if there are no affordable wide field models available what are some tested affordable narrow view options in the $200 and less range? I've seen people recommend the Jakks Pacific and the ATN Viper as usable model just looking for options.

Re: Looking to get into IR goggles to help me with my film handling

FWIW, I bought an ATN Viper off eBay, but returned it mainly for these reasons: 1) the headset is very difficult to adjust and barely fits a normal male head size, 2) the scope wobbles around quite a bit hanging by a single attachment off the headset, 3) I have a large stainless steel sink in my darkroom and the IR light reflected so bad I could barely see what I was trying to see, and 4) it doesn't focus all that close.

You didn't mention what size film you're trying to load, but if 4x5 you might consider trying a Grafmatic. Personally, I find the sheaths easier to load than a standard film holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    FWIW, I bought an ATN Viper off eBay, but returned it mainly for these reasons: 1) the headset is very difficult to adjust and barely fits a normal male head size, 2) the scope wobbles around quite a bit hanging by a single attachment off the headset, 3) I have a large stainless steel sink in my darkroom and the IR light reflected so bad I could barely see what I was trying to see, and 4) it doesn't focus all that close.

You didn't mention what size film you're trying to load, but if 4x5 you might consider trying a Grafmatic. Personally, I find the sheaths easier to load than a standard film holder.
    4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. Load and unload holders and load tubes for developing.

For close-up use a close-up filter. For IR light, use led strips with power, or alternative ready made https://www.ebay.com/p/96-LED-Night-...d=272934188165

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Exclamation Re: Looking to get into IR goggles to help me with my film handling

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    For close-up use a close-up filter. For IR light, use led strips with power, or alternative ready made https://www.ebay.com/p/96-LED-Night-...d=272934188165

what goggles would you recommend to use with this light?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
    what goggles would you recommend to use with this light?
    Sorry, have only given it thoughts. Whatever fits your budget and is light tight. The alternative is to use ortho film. With red LED strips, it's amazing what amount of light you can use without fogging.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post

1- Are there affordable widefield goggles?
    There are toy grade IR night vision devices. Those toys were $20 to $100

You may also DIY use a cheap IP camera with night IR capability (this is having the IR cut-off filter removed, all sensors can see IR) linked to a Virtual Reality headset for the smartphone. https://www.amazon.com/DESTEK-Headse...s%2C249&sr=8-3.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post
    2-I read about people illuminating their darkroom with IR lights so they did not have to use the IR lights on the goggles. Problem is I did not find any sources for these lights. Any ideas?
    Yes, you can use IR leds for remote commands, or cheap IR illuminators for night cameras.

Check that film is insensitive to the wavelength of the leds, some leds are close to the visible range and may expose some films if exposure time is long enough. In special this happens with extended IR sensitivity films, in such a case the wavelength should be beyond what the particular film can see. https://www.digitaltruth.com/product...d_film_010.php

Been using a IR monocle with a headset for over 10 years and could not do without it. The external IR light banks are easy to find as they are standard for IR security systems. The best is the circular 24 LED light banks that are easy to find and relatively cheap. I point mine against the adjacent wall so only IR bounces back in to my work area. I have a size 8 1/4 head and had no problem with the headset. I have seen a couple of the recent offerings that need to incorporate short focus (preferably in the 18" to infinity range) and a headset. IMHO the toy sets are not worth the bother. I use mine for loading holders and development by inspection in trays and gaseous burst processing.

One other recommendation I would offer with IR devices in the darkroom. I tape a packet of batteries to a cabinet in my darkroom so if the power craps out I can easily know where the replacements are knowing I can swap them out in short order.

I posted a little video of my cheapo night vision. Very narrow field of view. These are a toy, you can buy on Ebay for 50 bucks. Jakks Pacific Spynet goggles. I only use for handling film sitting down. Strap on my head with elastic cords. I love them for loading Jobo reels, film holders etc.
    I'm not sure that you can buy a wide field setup. Everything I've seen operates with a single camera displayed on a single led color screen. No depth perception, focusing is manual and has a limited depth of field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151010_164402-1-1_resized_2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	190878