Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Headache from Fixer Fumes?

Re: Headache from Fixer Fumes?

I used to have a similar problem. Years ago I switched to Ryuji Suzuki's Neutral Fixer which I mix myself and use full strength for film and paper.

The formula:

Ammonium Thiosulfate 60% 200ml
    Sodium Sulfite 15g
    Sodium Metabisulfte 5g
    Water to make 1 liter of working solution

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Drew Wiley

I have been using TF4 for both film and paper for at least a couple decades - as long as it's been on the market. No issues at all. But I have a very efficient ventilation system and ALWAYS wear nitrile gloves on both hands when ANY KIND of chemicals are involved. A degree of irritation build-up is inevitable if your air intake and exhaust are not properly designed; and sooner or later, sensitivity issues are a distinct risk even with relatively innocuous chemicals. Even basic stop bath can get to you. After all, it's acetic acid.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dark...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I used many bathrooms for darkrooms; with windowless you really need supply air coming in, and the fan for exiting to the ouside. I found by using two 4'x7' sheets of black fabic, "felt" (i used to black out windows while photographing interiors worked well) attached to each side of the door opening, (leave door open) ( works best with sliding pocket doors) created light trap between sheets allowing the fabric to breath and with the fan on pulled air into the space.
    there's my two bits
    Gregory

I forgot when I made my first darkroom in my bathroom I did install a Doran Vent in the door and used the exhaust fan.

The first one in the google search.

And I plan to install another one soon!. Different house, this time a spare bedroom. I bought the second Doran Vent some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by archphotofisher View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?q=dark...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I used many bathrooms for darkrooms; with windowless you really need supply air coming in, and the fan for exiting to the ouside. I found by using two 4'x7' sheets of black fabic, "felt" (i used to black out windows while photographing interiors worked well) attached to each side of the door opening, (leave door open) ( works best with sliding pocket doors) created light trap between sheets allowing the fabric to breath and with the fan on pulled air into the space.
    there's my two bits
    Gregory
    Tin Can

I use a bathroom darkroom as well. To get around the ventilation issue I cut a piece of masonite to lay against the molding that the door closes against. This allows the light to be blocked, but air can still go through the space between the door and the masonite and under the door. Works well. I only do that during the day though. You might want to replace the fan as well with something that will move more air.

I find TF-4 obnoxious too, but I only use it in tanks. Ilford's Hypam is what I use in the darkroom. Maybe give that a whirl.

multiplex

Does your bathroom have a window or an exhaust fan ? The first thing I would do is use an exhaust fan, and open your window a crack to get fresh air in your processing space, and then use a fixer that doesn't reek of Ammonia, like Sprint Speed Fixer or good old Sodium Thiosulfate. It isn't good to be breathing in all those fumes, the headaches are a tip of the iceberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I used to have a similar problem. Years ago I switched to Ryuji Suzuki's Neutral Fixer which I mix myself and use full strength for film and paper.

The formula:

Ammonium Thiosulfate 60% 200ml
    Sodium Sulfite 15g
    Sodium Metabisulfte 5g
    Water to make 1 liter of working solution
    Thanks for the formula, Richard. My main developer is DS-10. Anyway, whats the advantage of adding the sulfite and metabisulfite? I've been using straight Ammonium Thiosulfate for decades, and I haven't noticed any problems.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

You might look into making or buying a vertical tank for your fix. I made one from plexiglas that worked pretty well. Its about an inch wide. Very much less surface area of fix exposed to the air. Make a cap for it and you can leave the fixer in the tank, assuming no children or pets can get to it. Make the tank opaque with a lid and you can open the door while it soaks.

Drew Wiley

I have available a flexible duct with an inline booster fan if I need extra fume extraction in closer proximity to something noxious in the darkroom sink. This feeds into the main fume hood and works quite well when I need it.

Buy a 3M respirator. Put these cartridges in and you won't be bothered. If your eyes water it's time to get out. I used these on the job, they work great.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...8720746&rt=rud