Thread: Wash Aid?

Foamer

Wash Aid?

Getting ready to process some of my early batch Lane dry plates, I read the instructions for my Kodak fixer with hardener. It mentions using a "wash aid" to speed up final rinse. I don't have any. I think for today I'll just leave them in a try under a faucet for a half hour with gently running water. I'm thinking I will order a wash aid tomorrow since I'm already ordering several things from B&H. What's a good for the money wash aid? How about the Photographer's Forumlary Hype Clear agent?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Agent_for.html

In only need enough to do about 20 or so early batch plates. Anything I'm likely to have around the house that I could use today, such as baking soda etc.?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Wash Aid?

Wash aid is just sodium sulfite and sodium (meta)bisulfate. If you have those in house you can mix them yourself, otherwise you can buy a mix (like the formulary's) or just wash longer.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Wash aid is just Sodium Sulfite and Sodium Metabisulfate. If you have those in house you can mix them yourself, otherwise you can buy a mix (like the formulary's) or just wash longer.

Will simply wash longer for today. Will order some PF wash tomorrow along with two 95mm ND filters from B&H tomorrow (to use with my 12 in. Petzval.) I looked online and it looks like I could find some Na thiosulfate at Walmart etc. It's sold in the pool chemicals department, and they also sell a shampoo that has it (shampoo that removes pool chlorine.)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Wash aid is just sodium sulfite and sodium (meta)bisulfate. If you have those in house you can mix them yourself, otherwise you can buy a mix (like the formulary's) or just wash longer.
    Recall sodium sulfate being used alone as a washing aid. Does my memory serving me well on this?

Now down to my last bottle HEICO Permawash. Years ago scored big time on purchasing a case of Permawash and a case of sodium sulfite at a state surplus store. Figure will have to switch over to sodium sulfite as my washing aid in the next few months as am on my last bottle of Permawash.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Will simply wash longer for today. Will order some PF wash tomorrow along with two 95mm ND filters from B&H tomorrow (to use with my 12 in. Petzval.) I looked online and it looks like I could find some Na thiosulfate at Walmart etc. It's sold in the pool chemicals department, and they also sell a shampoo that has it (shampoo that removes pool chlorine.)

Kent in SD
    Sodium thiosulfAte is fixer, not hypo clear.

Wash aid is sodium sulfIte and sodium bisulfIte. Ite vs Ate. They are two different ions. The data sheet linked above explains this.

Things that I fixed and cleared a number of years ago with commercial wash aids all seem to have survived fine; they're not particularly chemically complicated, so whatever is easiest to get is probably good.