Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why Large Format?

Re: Why Large Format?

Hilarious, it seemed to be the only good thing left to SF. Been there a few times, decades ago.

So I clicked on Harvey Milk Photo Center membership to be given a momentary flash of an image 'Fly Over Country'. It immediately disappeared.

Flitting irony

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui;Harvey Milk Photo Center1497422
    Harvey Milk Photo Center in San Francisco carries on the SF tradition of group darkroom sharing to this day:
    http://harveymilkphotocenter.org

Being in San Francisco back in those great days of film and more was a special and memorable experience in many ways.
    That was a time when Eastman Kodak had a office near Ghirardelli Square. South of Market was a hot bed of creative artistic Fotographic image making from Fashion to Ads to Portraits to Architecture to "Fine Art" and a LOT more.

Bernice
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Hi Pere. I already have a 6x9 "Texas Leica", and it produces much better images than a 35mm Leica at a fraction of the cost. I love that camera. But looking at my best recent 20x24 Fujiflex enlargement from 6x9, which I really like, compared to today's enlargement from 8x10 film, well, it just ain't a fair fight. Technical KO before the enlarger is even switched on.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Hi Pere. I already have a 6x9 "Texas Leica", and it produces much better images than a 35mm Leica at a fraction of the cost. I love that camera. But looking at my best recent 20x24 Fujiflex enlargement from 6x9, which I really like, compared to today's enlargement from 8x10 film, well, it just ain't a fair fight. Technical KO before the enlarger is even switched on.
    The GW 690 is amazing... everything is bigger in Texas !

Drew Wiley

Well, I originally wanted to shoot that particular shot tri-color on 8X10 TMax. But it wasn't logistically sane. It was one of the most interesting roadside shrines I've ever seen, but at the side of a very small turnout on a curve of a narrow country road with quite a few big ranch trucks and trailers barreling through. It had obviously been a fatal location before; otherwise, a shrine wouldn't even be there. I wanted a very specific perspective, and the 8x10 would require me to set it up in the road itself - not a good idea! But the 6X9 Fuji RF allowed me to work close in and very quickly. Besides the Crystal Archive and Fuji Supergloss prints I've gotten from it, I've also generated a deep green filter enlarged 8X10 interpositive, then from that to a black and white printing neg which yielded a very nice MGWT print; and best of all, I didn't get run over!

In answer to the original question, I have a friend who prints out photography for artwork, and I just think its awesome to be able to hangup really large pictures haha

Like my muzzleloading rifles, wood and canvas canoe and open backed banjos, my restored 1910 Seneca is just plain fun to use. They also offer challenges we take for granted with today photo gear.

Many of these old technologies are the products of long gone skilled craftsmen, replaced by modern machines. The fact that they function more than a century later speaks volumes.

Here is a crop that I can print with decent quality at 14 inches x 12.5 inches. The original photo still has immaculate tonality and is from before 1910 and is only 3 inches x 16 inches. That's more than a 400% enlargement! I think the image may have been taken with a circuit camera and printed on a collodion emulsion and then toned with platinum and gold. This puts all digital prints to shame.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cowboycrop.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	192192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McGowan Cowboys copy.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	192193
    Thad Gerheim

Collin Orthner

I simply enjoy the slow pace and deliberateness of the process. I think through the process long before setting up the image on the groundglass, and if deemed worthy enough to try, I go ahead and do the work. Many times I have carefully found my lens a spot in space that will transmit the image I have in mind to a piece of film only to decide the image wouldn't spend much time hanging on my wall and I pack things back up. Seeing and enjoying my time play a large part of "why large format" to me.

The reason I started to use a Large Format camera:
    1. I want the experience of learning film, From going out, setting it up and slowing down.
    2. I want to learn how to develop film. Tray development and in the tank. ( I was doing a fitness photography session and the lady gave me her darkroom equipment from high school, I had all the darkroom equipment before I had a film camera)
    3. I am really inspired by photographers from the past and today who does large format.
    4. I can incorporate film photography with my digital photography work flow.
    5. With bad eye sight, the 4x5 ground glass is easier to focus on, then a 35mm camera.

I started my large format journey 6 mounts ago. I wished I could go completely to film, but I can't. I still have to use a digital camera for clients, but bringing the large format camera with me, my clients really loves it and it has help promote me to others.