Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tere from Estonia

Tere from Estonia

Hi all,

name's Margus from a small humble country of Estonia.

I've been into film photography for quite some time, mostly medium format, but more into large format lately.

I had an Ideal Optique 5x7" (camera probably from 1920s) for many years that I only occasionally used but a recently acquired Rittreck 5x7" (plus a 4x5" back as well if I occasionally need any color work for more film availability) has lit up my interest in LF big time. 4x5" wasn't a big step up from the medium format so I figured a proper 5x7" was the way to go, big enough format to be mobile enough on my bicycle as well. (8x10" would probably brake my back since I circle or walk long distances)

Interestengly I've been popping into LF forums through Google results for years now so it's time to stop lurking & register! This place looks to have amazing amounts of info on LF gear and techniques!

Regards,
    Margus

Re: Tere from Estonia

Welcome!

I may get to Estonia one day.

My first wife was Estonian and our daughter often goes there.
    Tin Can

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome. 5x7 is a lovely format. Big enough to make a nice contact print, and small enough to easily scan.

I hope we'll see some pictures soon.

Margus, glad you are here! First, your English is excellent, which of course makes communications easier. And it is fun to have a new member from a country rarely heard from in our Forums. I’m looking forward to seeing your images as part of our virtual travelogue.
    Last edited by Peter Lewin; 26-Apr-2019 at 13:17.

Welcome! This is a great site - you will find lots of support here!

Nice to hear that you are using 5x7 - which happens to by my favorite format. Nice aspect ratio, size, logistics...a real "sweet spot" for lots of reasons!

Also...one of my all time favorite students is from Estonia - and I have promised to come over to Tallin at some point...sounds like a wonderful country!

Les

Welcome to LF forum, Margus.

Les

Welcome indeed. There is nothing humble about Estonia as far as I'm concerned-- your countrymen outlived the evil of Communism in the 20th century with little or no help from the West. As well as producing more than your share of composers and other artists who enrich the lives of everyone.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your 5x7!
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Estonia in 5x7" by tsiklonaut

Thank you so much for the warm welcome guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    Welcome indeed. There is nothing humble about Estonia as far as I'm concerned-- your countrymen outlived the evil of Communism in the 20th century with little or no help from the West. As well as producing more than your share of composers and other artists who enrich the lives of everyone.
    You know history! Not many know about Estonia at all, let alone history. It's just 1.3 million people with our own language, culture and belonging, hence some US city suburbs are bigger than our entire country in terms of population.

Your first photograph posted here is beautiful.

We look forward to more.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com