Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bad batch of Tmax 100?

bad batch of Tmax 100?

I bought an outdated box of T-max 100 a couple years ago and have had the same problem with the entire box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190424_2226008.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	190527
    The edges are always good, but the centre always has the think dye layer on.

I could always wash the dye off the first package with hot water, with good results however I just started the second package and it seems to be thicker. The photo doesn't even seem to penetrate through the layer now.

To give you an idea this negative has soaking in Hot Water for around an hour.

Am I doing something wrong ( I have never had this issue with any other film ) or is it a bad batch of film?

Re: bad batch of Tmax 100?

It's expired film - of course it's going to have problems, quite apart from the fact we don't know how well it was stored. Date stamps exist for a reason...

almost looks like the sheets stuck together in the box after moisture penetration. dunno, but presume they weren't when u loaded the holders. unfortunately it looks like this box is toast...
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Processing usually takes that stuff off. I'd suspect it was stuck to something in processing. Dip it in fix for a couple minutes and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    It's expired film - of course it's going to have problems, quite apart from the fact we don't know how well it was stored. Date stamps exist for a reason...
    That's a bit strong in my experience. As film ages you can expect some extra fog, but most frozen film is good long past its expiration date. I've used some frozen film that's a decade out of date, but frozen. It had less fog than a box approaching the expiration data, but stored at room temperature. But problems with storage can ruin all film, in date or not. That's what I'd wager happened here.

As a point of reference...I've been using an old stock of 11x14 Tri-X, expiration date 1988, which has been stored in several hot attics, damp basements, etc. - and never frozen or even refrigerated (long story), and while it does have a bit of base fog (actually nice for certain subjects!), I've been getting good results (this one souped in HC-110 Dilution B): Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deer skull.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	190532

I love the photo John,
    It gives me hope for a box expired in 1991 included with my 2D

Thanks for all the responses, I will just chalk it down as a bad batch.
    I did get it from a trusted member here, and kept it frozen since received.

With the first sealed envelope I at least got some good results after washing off the coating
    Sorry I haven't had the chance to print anything off yet but here is a negative.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190407_1454363.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	190533

I have tried soaking a couple sheets in fixer for over an hour, and also pre soaking for extended periods. The rinsing in hot water was in desperation.
    With this envelope the image doesn't even seem to penetrate through the center coating, so it doesn't even matter.

I guess I will open up another box and try it today.

Heart breaking

Suggest for any serious work, use only know GOOD film as the potential image lost is difficult if not possible to re-do or replace.
    $ pinching on film for serious work is often a result of short term thinking.

Bernice

Thanks Bernice,
    I honestly only use the 8x10 for my artwork, and use my 4x5 or 5x7 when it's more important.
    Mostly because of the more modern shutters in my smaller formats. I only use barrel lenses on the 8x10.
    In this case all 4 lost shots were within an hours drive from my moms house.

Drew Wiley

Looks like some kind of storage issue involving moisture. You can't blame the manufacturer.