Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Apo-Lanthars needed

Advice on Apo-Lanthars needed

Over the years have come across several Voigtlander Apo-Lanthars FS. First one was a 210mm TECHNIKA Apo-Lanthar in a shutter for only a couple of hundred dollars... always regretted not purchasing that lens. Over the years have come across several 210mm and 300mm samples, but the asking prices were always above my means. But then lately have been asked if I was interested in acquiring a 210mm and a 300mm Apo-Lanthar with both being in shutters. Last year acquired two other "smaller" optics from the seller that were said to be in NOS condition... turns out that they were exactly as described, both in "like new" condition.

Anyways... Condition has yet to be described in detail to me, which scares me a bit. Also don't know what shutters the Apo-Lanthars are in.

Big questions...
    What to look for?
    Any type of shutter to stay away from?
    Color tint of the lenses?
    If only shooting B&W, are they really worth pursuing verses shooting with comparable modern optics?

Re: Advice on Apo-Lanthars needed

All other things being equal, to retain the many-bladed iris, I'd try to get one mounted in barrel or a Compound Shutter.

Previously discussed here, suggest reading this discussion before proceeding.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...2C+kodak+ektar

Lanthium glass was a Kodak invention, it is used in Kodak Commercial Ektar and other Kodak lenses. The moniker Lanthar has to do with Marketing more than substance as there was a time decades ago when APO Lanthars were not expensive or precious.

Bernice

Greg,

I have many lenses and several apo-lanthar lenses in 150mm, 210mm and 300mm. There are something special about them, especially for portraits. I only do contact printing and don't shoot color. Not yet. I know many modern lenses have more contrast than Lanthar lenses.

If I were ever forced to sell all my lenses and were allowed to keep only one lens, that would be my 300mm lanthar lens.

Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Any type of shutter to stay away from?
    Most are found in synchro-compurs or compounds, both are excellent shutters. Old compurs may often require a simple CLA to recover accuracy. A Compound can be destroyed in two ways: if trying to cock in B or T positions making a lot of force, or with a DIY CLA by a direct ether bath as iris is made of paper. Compounds are pneumatic so clockwork is minimal, this is important if a repair is necessary because it's a simple shutter.

Compounds sound like music, me I feel like a great photographer when firing the compound.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If only shooting B&W, are they really worth pursuing verses shooting with comparable modern optics?
    See section 150mm Voigtländer Lanthar versus Sironar-S :

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/

If wanting great bokeh alternatives are Ysarex, Xenar and Heliar...

The Lanthar sharpness+bokeh nature has a german description: Duftige Schärfe or amazing "fluffy sharpness", as that article explains. This is what you find in a lanthar... but for portraiture excessive sharpness may not be always what you want anyway, perhaps some may prefer a tessar for that, following Karsh exemplary usage of Commercial Ektar 14" for 8x10, what it would be a 180mm tessar for 4x5.

So for landscape if all in focus (bokeh not useful there) the lanthar has no advantage aganist a modern lens. For portraiture you have the good bokeh but high sharpness may not be necessary/wanted. If wanting smooth OOF with something very sharp in focus, Duftige Schärfe nature, then the lanthar will rock, but then the question is at what print enlargement a (good bokeh) LF tessar is not sharp.

Pere,

Have you owned, used to make prints both color and B & W using any of these lenses being discussed?
    What has been written is of very modest value, what is important does the APO Lanthar or _ lens meet the image needs of OP?

Fact is folks, reading this stuff many not directly apply to actual lens ownership, usage and personal choices of if that specific lens is a keeper.

Knowing the "brand" does not dictate personality or behavior of an individual item. Brand alone is a preconceived expectation, where as the actual individual item is more or less the real deal.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post

See section 150mm Voigtländer Lanthar versus Sironar-S :

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/

If wanting great bokeh alternatives are Ysarex, Xenar and Heliar...

The Lanthar sharpness+bokeh nature has a german description: Duftige Schärfe or amazing "fluffy sharpness", as that article explains. This is what you find in a lanthar... but for portraiture excessive sharpness may not be always what you want anyway, perhaps some may prefer a tessar for that, following Karsh exemplary usage of Commercial Ektar 14" for 8x10, what it would be a 180mm tessar for 4x5.

So for landscape if all in focus (bokeh not useful there) the lanthar has no advantage aganist a modern lens. For portraiture you have the good bokeh but high sharpness may not be necessary/wanted. If wanting smooth OOF with something very sharp in focus, Duftige Schärfe nature, then the lanthar will rock, but then the question is at what print enlargement a (good bokeh) LF tessar is not sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Have you owned, used to make prints both color and B & W using any of these lenses being discussed?
    Bernice, I borrowed a 210mm one from a friend (who is great collector) and shot a dozen TMX sheets with it, two years ago. A superb lens. But IMHO its price is because it's a nice collectible item. Regarding pure optical performace it has nothing special compared to modern lenses, regarding bokeh it's slightly better than plasmats but equal to many tessars, regarding coatings it's way (technically) inferior than modern lenses. I think that these are facts.

Also it is a fact that APO-Lanthars are heliars with a rare earth middle element allowing a better chromatic correction, so basicly it's a sharper heliar, single coated, which explains very well the lens nature.

In LFPF we have impressive articles like that one https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/ by Jeroen Bruggeman that it would be of extremly good advice, don't you think ?
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 25-Apr-2019 at 11:58. Reason: spelling

I have 10.5cm, 15cm, and 21cm APO Lanthars. They are as sharp as modern lenses but have that elusive "look" I think people covet from vintage design. They uniquely open the shadows with a glow that defies explanation (no, it's not flare). They all have a warm tint from the glass, even if you can't see it visually in the lens. Not nearly as bad as Aero Ektar stains but just a free 81a filter. While I use them infrequently they are too nice to sell and I also promised not to from two sellers who sold them at very attractive prices.

PS: I shot most of my formal wedding photos with the 15cm and 21cm APO Lanthars. I can send you a sample or two if you want.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

APO Lanthar, Heilar and .... do have personality. There was a time when this "personality" was not valued by the majority of sheet film users as the market back at that time was commercial work for advertising, and similar. Due to market needs, modern lenses were the preferred choice which set these vintage lenses into the not desirable category. During that time a BIG Heilar (exception would be the Universal Heilar) in barrel would sell for about $50, APO Lanthar for about $100 to $200 in a GOOD shutter, APO tessar can be had for as little as $50 inbox as new for focal lengths over 500mm. During that era, it was easy to try these lenses as they were "cheap". Sheet film was plentiful, processing was not difficult at all..

Point being, that was a different time, place, era. As with fashion, things change. Due to the current market & fashion, these lenses that were once ignored and not wanted have now become desirable .... by a different audience.

IMO, the ideal thing for the OP to do is to get at least one APO Lanthar to use and try. This IS the only way to make just about any lens choice, film choice, print choice and.... As been said many times before, specially in these time of excessive errant information that is easily available, image making tools are a personal choice and decision. Best to do a bit of reading then get the actual item to try then decide.

BTW, did not keep any of the Heilars, APO Lanthars and...
    As for why barrel lenses and Sinar shutter, has much to do with vintage lenses having nice round iris. where modern Copal and similar shutters do not.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    IMO, the ideal thing for the OP to do is to get at least one APO Lanthar to use and try.
    Yes, this is a good advice, nothing better than testing, but let me add another choice for the OP.

Just buy a single coated Heliar than has the same bokeh and similar coating, and this is cheap. Heliars typically peak at 45lp/mm.

The Apo Lanthar tested by C. Pérez rated:

f/11 67 67 42
    f/16 54 67 54

Which is an excellent rating. But if not enlarging beyond x8 (1m prints from 4x5") then the difference Heliar vs APO Lanthar cannot be technically noticed.

Then if both liking the lens nature and requiring greater resolving power, it would be the time to throw money for an APO Lanthar.