Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tachihara 4x5

Tachihara 4x5

Hi All
    I have been looking at going back to film for some time now, I was patiently waiting for a friend to sell his Hasselblad xpan II kit. Sadly the little blighter sold it and I didn’t have a clue, so time to move on to bigger and better things!

I have been watching Ben Horne’s channel for 12 or so months finding it good clean information coupled with a great insight into LF photography, then stumbled across here and got stuck in reading. By no means done yet but seriously interested to dip my toes in the emulsion so to speak.

As the title suggests I’m looking at the 4x5 Tachihara. I have read the post on here regarding loose front standard and the addition of nylon washers and was wondering if anybody would like to enlighten me further still on this camera ie good first buy, good resale (if I decide to move to larger or it’s not actually for me) Longest/shortest lenses (I think 70 to max of 300?) and is $800 a fair price for a mint one owner?

Sorry for all the questions, I see they get asked regularly but as you all know it’s personal choice.

Finally I had better say it’s for landscapes.

Many thanks in advance for your words of wisdom

Re: Tachihara 4x5

Hi,

It was my first 4x5 camera, I sold it only because it had a Graflok back and I wanted Spring wooden back, otherwise I would keep it now.
    True about the loose front, anyway I had no problem with it.
    For that price you can get a another wooden field camera with more movements, maybe not so light anyway, so yes you can get a good sample.
    Resale, my guess is same price as you bought it if you keep it without any damage, or as I did for a quick selling drop one lens and two cut film holders and that's it.
    Shame on me I just did a couple of photos with my new one...

Alex

I purchased one, sold it and later got one again and kept it.

If you shoot outdoors and walk or trek, its small size and lightness are helpful. For general landscape shooting it has enough movements. Where substantial movements are required, consider a monorail. The 4x5 "Fiel Stand" model with red bellows, cherry wood and brass fittings is attractive to onlookers who consistently approach me more often than when I use any other view camera: it's a person magnet so if you want to be left alone you many want to consider something more drab.

With a 300mm lens you can't focus very close (see Formulas for Bellows Extension which features the Tachihara). Given a 300mm lens and 315mm of bellows draw...

1/F = 1/D + 1/B where F = Focal length, D = Distance, B = Bellows Draw
    F = 300mm, B = 315mm
    1/300 = 1/D + 1/315
    1/D = 1/300 - 1/315
    1/D = 0.00333 - 0.00317
    1/D = 0.00016
    Distance = 6,250mm or 20 feet and that may be a touch optimistic.

For landscapes at infinity a 300mm lens will work nicely. You can also use certain Telephoto lenses like the 400mm Fujinon T.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 25-Apr-2019 at 09:09.

I have a 4x5 Tachihara and an 8x10 Tachihara with 5x7 reducing back.

I think they're excellent cameras for general shooting (no macro work).

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I bought a 4x5 Calumet wood field camera in 1994 which was a Tachihara with a Calumet nameplate on it and continue to use it today. It is an excellent camera at an attractive price. I have Calumet-N 90mm, 150mm, & 210 lenses which were made Rodenstock and the front standard is very stable with them. It doesn't have front standard shift but I haven't needed that with my landscape photography. The only limiting factor with it is the bellows draw. You should be able to recoup your money later if you decide to sell it.

As for price I would check Ebay for sold prices to get an idea. Large format prices may be increasing but I'd think these would sell for more like $500-600 for just the camera.

Price may vary with condition.

Mint is a bad way to describe anything.

I bought one for $200 and sold it for $500 years ago.

Perfect with no scratches, flaws could go higher now.

However usually I buy high and sell low. Which also happens all the time.
    Tin Can

Thank you all for your reply’s, a few more questions and learning!!

Alex, you mention graflok and spring back. Is one better than the other, personal choice. Does the Tachihara come with only graflok backs?

Ken, thank you for a maths workout. I will spend time chosing a lens but no doubt will start at the 150mm mark, the prices seem to vary wildly from $150 upwards to over $300 even with the same f number. Will the $150 be ok to start with? The one I am looking at is the fiel stand, cherry wood, with brass but black bellows? Maybe an option when new or changed during life?

I see movement mentioned a lot, I assume this is akin to tilt shift in SLR speak?

Hi, Kevas. I'm the one, probably, who posted about the nylon washers. I have yet to find a supplier anywhere; they seem to have been a custom made item. Mine are metal, easily procured, and they work fine, really. The camera, as others attest, is light and sturdy, with adequate movements for much work. I use mine primarily for portraits with 210mm lens, and it's fine.

Tachihara produced quite a few variations of its models over the years. Mine has chrome fittings, not brass, and a black bellows. You'll see wood of different colors, bellows ditto, etc. My camera does not have stops for vertical positioning of the front standard; it is done by feel or visual alignment; the same model apparently introduced them later.

From what I've seen, $800 for a mint-condition one would be a good price. I paid less than $500 for my well-used one (or, not-so-well used) and have put about $150 into having it adjusted, replacing washers and screws, etc. You might consider looking in the $600-700 range for less-than-mint and put the money towards a lens.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Kevs View Post
    I see movement mentioned a lot, I assume this is akin to tilt shift in SLR speak?
    Movements are one of the core value propositions of view cameras. Before you make a view camera purchase it may help to become better acquainted with view camera movements. There's more to it than tilt/shift. You should probably connect with someone who can show you a view camera or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevs View Post
    I will spend time chosing a lens... Will the $150 be ok to start with?
    It's always fun and educational to jump right into something but just as with your first question, you might spare yourself some aggravation by becoming more familiar with large format lenses before purchasing. This forum is a great place for that. Just start reading....

...but not only about cameras and lenses: you could ask the same questions about film/developer combinations, tripods, light meters, camera bags, etc. It might be best to find someone in your area who is willing to teach and let you use some equipment first. Or take a workshop somewhere. The time and money you save will be your own
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 25-Apr-2019 at 11:37.