Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Developing with Jobo 2509n tanks on CPE2+ vs. SP-445 tanks

Re: Developing with Jobo 2509n tanks on CPE2+ vs. SP-445 tanks

So here's the review youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=oYAxajtRQhc

Looks to me like the best option is to go ahead with the 2509n reels, wings and loader (acquired a while back). So thanks for the encouragement... good to see in this youtube that the 2509n WITH the loader...ain't hard. I like easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Get a Combi Plan T system.
    I don't think I ever ruined film with the Combi-plan, but it's a messy tank and pouring solutions in is a slow process (which always makes me worry when I'm using an active developer). I've got a pair of them that I rarely use anymore. I wish the company had redesigned the lid and valves. If they had it could have been a perfect inversion tank.

Honestly, loading the Jobo reel is not really that hard without the loader. A couple of trials and it became quite second nature. I am sure the loader makes it easier still, but not difficult without.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David Schaller

I use the 2509 reels in the 2500 tank for manual inversion. Works great.

Despite everything negative that has been said about it, I have never had issues with the SP-445 in its latest incarnation.
    Just throwing that there FWIW, I recommend it.
    (No affiliation)

I'm running my 2500 Multitank 4 and 5 with 2509 reels, for 9x12cm and 6.5x9cm. Best system out there.

As far as loading is concerned, do your due diligence with scrap sheets. Fully load it ten times with the lights on, then ten times with your eyes closed. Then you will be confident
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I have Expert Drums 3010, 3006, 3005. I also have 2509n reels and the loader. I prefer the 2509n reels for 4x5. DISCLAIMER, I'm not a professional in a rush. I use the loader stand and IR goggles that I picked up on Ebay for 50 bucks. If you can master loading the 2509n reels they are the best way to develop 4x5 in the light. When you finish processing, take the drum off the machine, take the lid off the tank, stick a hose down the center column and wash. No doubts about washing, no fiddling around.
    When I use the Expert tanks the 3006 is easier to use than the 3010. If you develop a lot of film you can process 18 sheets on reels on your CPE2. The SP445 is the current gizmo. It's been done before and in my opinion much better in the old slide and slosh Yankee, FR and the like.

Getting the panels on the 2509n takes a bit of skill. Once you get it down no problem. I wouldn't try 2509n in a changing bag. Get some Jakks Pacific Spynet IR goggles :-)

Changing bags are the reason, along with portability, and one shot for the SP445. It's also a heck of a good substitute for Polaroid. Just like the old days check your lighting with a quick negative, dried fast and proofed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I'm running my 2500 Multitank 4 and 5 with 2509 reels, for 9x12cm and 6.5x9cm. Best system out there.

As far as loading is concerned, do your due diligence with scrap sheets. Fully load it ten times with the lights on, then ten times with your eyes closed. Then you will be confident
    Very sound advice!

I have used the 2509n and loader in the 2500 tanks for about 15 years with no problems. I never used the panels (wings?) until I got a pair in an auction with other Jobo stuff. I tried them but it seemed to make the tank bulge ever so slightly and I *almost* had the lid pop off. If anyone can tell me how/why they are important let me know. I don't have problems with uneven development or streaking. I am using Pyrocat-HD on the "P" setting 2:2:100 with FP4 and HP5.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I don't think I ever ruined film with the Combi-plan, but it's a messy tank and pouring solutions in is a slow process (which always makes me worry when I'm using an active developer). I've got a pair of them that I rarely use anymore. I wish the company had redesigned the lid and valves. If they had it could have been a perfect inversion tank.
    The empty and fill rates are the same, especially if you open the air path with a half twist of the or empty valve.