Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Developing with Jobo 2509n tanks on CPE2+ vs. SP-445 tanks

Developing with Jobo 2509n tanks on CPE2+ vs. SP-445 tanks

I'm heading into this end of things. Wondering whether to pick up a few 2509n reels for my 2500 Jobo tanks, or focus more manually on SP-445 tank. Jobo... I know Jobo. Done tons of roll film with it. Sheet film is new. Cost of the Jobo Expert drums plus a bigger Jobo machine... well, that's a whole lot more than I want to commit to at this point. I would appreciate hearing experience here. Let me add that I am a daylight process kind of guy, so I'm not really planning to dive into tray development... and the other alternatives seem to have more issues - though that may simply be that folks have less patience with them.

Re: Developing with Jobo 2509n tanks on CPE2+ vs. SP-445 tanks

I've used the 2509n reels for a bit before I got some expert drums. I never noticed any issues with the Jobo drums (I think at the time it was only black and white). They are a pain to load compared to the expert drums, at least without the loader. I've also read reports that you get surge marks if you do not use the baffles, which is a non issue with expert drums. I have read enough problem reports with seemingly every other tank system to be wary of the SP-445 (though at this point my concerns have no basis in experience).

If you have the Jobo and existing tanks (with columns?), I'd try the 2509n reels. They have resale value if you decide you don't like them.

If you want to use pyro-based developers, do some reading about oxidation in rotary processing, and pick the right formulation and method.

If I did not have a Jobo, I would try the SP-445.

For every person who swears by a particular method, there is at least one who swears /at/ it.

I've never used the 2509n reel--I use Expert Drums--but I have used the SP-445 many times and, occasionally, I get scratches and/or the faint outline of the holes in the holders. Not saying the SP-445 is bad, its just that in my experience I cannot count 100% on it.

Get a Combi Plan T system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Get a Combi Plan T system.
    If you can find them.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Yes, everyone who swings with the Expert Drums - loves them. There's a review of the HP Combi Plan out there on the net that is downright ...well ...either the system is bad or the user... and no in-between. The SP-445 gets plaudits 'cause it works, but it has issues just like I read the BTZS tubes.... with scratches. With the Jobo 2509n's I read that those who stuck with them find them "fine", but those who didn't went to the Expert Drums. I've had my issues with Jobo 1500 series tanks, but those got solved (for Medium Format) by stepping up to the 2500 tank and reels. I've seen a guy who has a 3D printed reel for 4X5 in a 1500 tank... which may be a wild card into using that tank, too.

Anyway, nothing is ever clear cut, is it? Thanks for the notes and suggestions.

I had two Combiplan tanks which I threw away as soon as I could get a Jobo.I tried the reels and didn't like them. At the time I was younger and thought if I Am going to carry on with film at least 10 years, get the Expert drums. I purchased a drum for 5x7 and one for 8x10. I gave the reels to a friend who also uses an Expert drum. I have never looked back. I do occasionally use trays for X-ray film which I develop by inspection, the way I was taught as a child.

There is a Combi-plan currently for sale on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183783186719

I have not used a Combi-plan, but have used both the SP-445 and Jobo with success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you already have a processor, then I'd definitely suggest using 2509 reels. will take some time to learn how to load them but they work great and I would take them over any other method, other than Expert drums. Make sure you get the wings and one thing I do yo make sure all is good is to be sure to locate the small triangles (for want of a better decription) that the wings attach to.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...