Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Mystery Dagor...

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,465

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Looks like a very nice lens! A dagor type that dates to around 1920...
    If you don't have the serial number, how can you date it?

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    50

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    P-H Pont's chronology says that Koilos shutters with air brakes were made from 1906 - 1910. I asked why you think it is a Dagor because many European makers made 6 elements in two groups double anastigmats in that period. Some had f/6.8 maximum apertures, others were faster, still others slower.
    It was my understanding that Goerz first produced and patented the DAGOR type and also licensed it out... I am basically just using DAGOR as a general descriptor...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57155617_10214346059152981_6346889540866670592_n.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	190452

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    50

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    If you don't have the serial number, how can you date it?
    Oh I was referring to Randy's 300mm Schneider that he mentioned... I'll go edit it to make it more clear... Can't really date mine unless someone recognizes it...

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    50

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    Some of the Ensign Anastigmats look similar and they used a Kilios shutter too but I did not see a 12in 6.8 one...

    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-5in-306463216

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    50

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    Lens housing adapter to accept an 11 1/2" (292mm) F4 Wollensak Verito looks similar to this one glenview has...
    http://www.glennview.com/shutters.htm

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,465

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    It was my understanding that Goerz first produced and patented the DAGOR type and also licensed it out... I am basically just using DAGOR as a general descriptor...
    Correct. But other makers designed and made 6/2 double anastigmats without, it seems, licenses from Goerz or suits for patent infringement. For example, Berthiot introduced anastigmatic Eurygraphes in 1896-7, some with maximum apertures of f/6.8.

    I'm sure you mean well, but I've seen enough inaccurate, possibly dishonest, eBay listings to want people not to use Dagor as a general descriptor. "Dagor type," ok, no possible attempt to cheat there. "Dagor" when not clearly made by Goerz or a licensee and not clearly a Ser. III double anastigmat, cheating galore.

    I was once taken by a person who sold me an f/6.8 Goerz Double Anastigmat as a Dagor. I asked the person to count reflections, it assured me that the lens was a Dagor. I received one of Goerz' low end dialyte types. I hope you understand why I'm sensitive about "Dagor, I think,. I wish, I hope, well, perhaps."

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    50

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Correct. But other makers designed and made 6/2 double anastigmats without, it seems, licenses from Goerz or suits for patent infringement. For example, Berthiot introduced anastigmatic Eurygraphes in 1896-7, some with maximum apertures of f/6.8.

    I'm sure you mean well, but I've seen enough inaccurate, possibly dishonest, eBay listings to want people not to use Dagor as a general descriptor. "Dagor type," ok, no possible attempt to cheat there. "Dagor" when not clearly made by Goerz or a licensee and not clearly a Ser. III double anastigmat, cheating galore.

    I was once taken by a person who sold me an f/6.8 Goerz Double Anastigmat as a Dagor. I asked the person to count reflections, it assured me that the lens was a Dagor. I received one of Goerz' low end dialyte types. I hope you understand why I'm sensitive about "Dagor, I think,. I wish, I hope, well, perhaps."
    I totally agree, if listed for sale it needs a proper description... I have never sold a LF lens and don't intend to start. I am merely entertained by the mystery of the lens and the challenge of figuring it all out, including shooting with it eventually... If it turns out to be a good lens I plan to put it on my 13x18 Bermpohl Naturfarbenkamera...

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    101

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    I am clearing out my collection of LF lenses from the last 20+ years. If they won't cover 5x7 and 4x10 then they must go. Two of my lenses are Symmar Doppel Anastigmats f/6.8 in shutters 240mm and 270mm. Both are 80 degree lenses and should cover OK. Since they may be almost 80-90 years old I will use them only for B/W which goes without saying since color in 5x7 is hard to find, although I do have some 8x10 Provia to be cut down to 4x10. Anyone know of the color capability of these old lenses?

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,465

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    Y'know, Schneider's serial number sequence is known. What are your old Symmars serial numbers?

    Dagors of all ages are good for color. Why should dagor-type Symmars be different?

  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    101

    Re: Mystery Dagor...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Y'know, Schneider's serial number sequence is known. What are your old Symmars serial numbers?

    Dagors of all ages are good for color. Why should dagor-type Symmars be different?
    Dan:

    The 24cm is in a #4 Acme Synchro, there is no number on the front element, but on the rear is 1787168 (about 1942).
    The 27cm is in a dial set Compur with the number 243371 on both elements (about end of 1928).

    The dates are from Schneiders website.

    I don't understand why the 24cm has no number.

Similar Threads

  1. Mystery Dagor: Weitwinkel-Dagor 1:9 15cm
    By Uusilehto in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 21-Jun-2007, 06:23
  2. Mystery Swiss "Dagor"....
    By Don Hutton in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2007, 21:44
  3. Any Dagor and Wide Angle Dagor Users Out There?
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 1-Aug-2006, 06:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •